Talk

Advanced search

Just heard that DS has been offered a place at chosen school.....so so relieved. Anyone else with Statemented children?

(7 Posts)
JakeBullet Wed 05-Feb-14 17:07:09

It's been a stressful few months looking round schools to try and find the right "fit" for DS who is autistic. Choices were the very oversubscribed school nearby...which has eyewateringly good results....but is massive and DS is not academic.

The school a bit further out, just out of Special measures which I seriously considered based upon my look round the school and the new head.

In the end I've gone for the furthest one away....also a bit oversubscribed but not like the very academic one. It only has 750 pupils and has a fab name for pastoral care (very important).

Not only have they accepted DS but they have already applied for and been awarded (promised in writing) 5 hours of extra funding per week for DS so he will have support between lessons for the first year.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting....it is nerve wracking. Such a relief to have the decision.

LadyMuck Wed 05-Feb-14 20:59:00

Fabulous - glad you're happy with the outcome. And it will be great is the extra support is in place come September. The jump to secondary school is a huge one for any 11 year old boy!

123caughtaflea Wed 05-Feb-14 21:40:56

I am in major debate with the LEA at present. They think he should move to EBD in September. I am not sure, but my guts would like to give local secondary a go. This would also be DS's choice. I don't think I am going to win though, but with the statement naming the transfer school deadline looming I guess we'll know soon enough.

Congratulations on getting your choice.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Feb-14 09:21:54

It's hard isn't it 123, I looked around the two nearest special schools too which were absolutely fantastic but.....DS is very very vocal and chatty and although the special schools would have met all his needs academically I wasn't sure he would cope socially.

Equally I have loads of concerns academically at the mainstream secondary but know his social chatty needs will be met.....although he might drive the teachers mad.grin

The LEA would have refused a place at a special school.....but if I had felt that the best fit I would have fought for it. Spaces are so (too) few.

Thing is that until he goes and spends a year at the school I wont know for definite if it is the right decision. Can only wait and see.

bigbluebus Thu 06-Feb-14 13:05:19

Glad you got the school of your choosing - it is a stressful experience when your DC has SEN.
A number of years ago, we applied for an oversubscribed school for DS (HF ASD) over our catchment school - even though the catchment school was smaller, the pastoral care at the bigger school was better. DS got a place at our chosen school and we found out in Feb because of his statement, whilst knowing that most of the children in his class at Primary school weren't going to get places as it was so heavily oversubscribed. I kept quite and a very low profile at the school gate for quite some time - especially at the start of March when everyone else got their letters and were planning their appeals. The catchment school subsequently went into special measures.
It hasn't all been plain sailing at the chosen school, but they have worked with us to sort out any difficulties so I agree, good pastoral care is worth its weight in gold.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Feb-14 13:40:30

I know with regard to some oversubscribed schools that it must seem very unfair to other parents that our children get first refusal as it were.

If I had gone for the very oversubscribed school it takes 250 children each year and has over 800 applicants. Had I felt it was the right for for DS then I would have applied. However, it wouldn't have been the right fit so local parents can breathe a sigh of relief in the knowledge that DS is not potentially robbing their child of a place.grin

JakeBullet Thu 06-Feb-14 13:41:29

I know with regard to some oversubscribed schools that it must seem very unfair to other parents that our children get first refusal as it were.

If I had gone for the very oversubscribed school it takes 250 children each year and has over 800 applicants. Had I felt it was the right for for DS then I would have applied. However, it wouldn't have been the right fit so local parents can breathe a sigh of relief in the knowledge that DS is not potentially robbing their child of a place.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now