Talk

Advanced search

Problems finding school trousers for �curvy�; DD(12)

(23 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 03-Feb-14 11:04:33

Can anyone recommend where to get some black school trousers from for DD(12) please? She is in age 12-13 from M&S but they barely fit over her hips or round her waist. They are already too long so I can�t go up into the next size.

MIL thinks DD has a long body and short legs like her hmm so I don�t know if this is the root of the problem. She does have some puppy fat and I�m trying really hard for her not to feel like she�s fat, but I don�t think it helps when her trousers barely fit.

I�ve tried the M&S plus sizes but they don�t fit her well as she�s not a plus size and they�re really baggy in all the wrong places. I get her jeans from M&S in an adult size 10 short which fit her really well, but you can�t get school trousers in ladieswear.

I wondered where other people with this problem get them from? I can�t believe she�s the only one. confused Thanks.

lilolilmanchester Mon 03-Feb-14 11:28:46

Asda, Matalan, tesco, next, John Lewis, BHS, local school outfitters all used to do school trousers. Or if you can find them, smaller ladies sizes at e.g. Dorothy p or BHS might be better for her shape. Can't you turn up trousers if too long but fit otherwise? Work for you I know but not that difficult and doesn't take that long

Starballbunny Mon 03-Feb-14 11:35:16

What's wrong with normal black M&S ladies work trousers?

A big branch has loads of styles and slightly different lengths and fittings. Expensive compared with kids, but the only option for my curvy DD1. DD2 can still get away with next uniform ones.

chicaguapa Mon 03-Feb-14 11:59:13

Funny! I'd never considered turning them up. grin

I could look at ladies' work trousers but had hoped to not have to as they're so much more. I'd hoped that someone somewhere made trousers to fit a 12/13 yo's shape.

Unfortunately DD won't entertain the idea of traipsing around different shops trying to find some that fit, so I was hoping someone would say a particular shop were a bit bigger.

stickyvicky71 Mon 03-Feb-14 12:01:25

Try next plus fit girls trousers - they are a slightly more generous fit and they go up to age 13+

Starballbunny Mon 03-Feb-14 12:02:23

You could try next plus size (their jeans were the last children's trousers DD1 ever had). Next ordinary kids 12sare baggy on DD2

Starballbunny Mon 03-Feb-14 12:02:52

X post

Drunkendonut Mon 03-Feb-14 12:07:55

Yep. I third Next. My dd was a bit short and chubby at that age and I used next plus size for her. They were perfect.
Once she went through puberty she shot up and is now a lovely perfectly proportioned 15 year old!
A lot of her friends were the same at that age. They blossom smile

chicaguapa Mon 03-Feb-14 13:33:01

Thanks. Might give Next plus fit a go then.

How crap is the name though? What does that do for a positive body image when she just has hips and hasn't had a growth spurt yet?

I think that might have made me angrier than years of trying to find trainers without pink in them. angry

Thanks for your suggestions.

Starballbunny Tue 04-Feb-14 11:49:13

Trouble is if they make 12-14 girls trousers to fit your DD and my DD1 (who grew hips, then grew taller too), they fall off DD2.

I guess one day I'll turn round and find DD2 has a woman's figure, but (she's 13 and still doesn't quite need a bra) it's happening very gradually. Massively easier for clothes than DD1.

So, although plus fit is an unfortunate term, it's still way better that some manufacturers are realising teens grow in wildly different patterns between 9-14 and that one sizing scheme does not fit all.

Starballbunny Tue 04-Feb-14 11:50:28

Also, why are even adult women's trainers Pink?

2whippetsnobed Tue 04-Feb-14 11:54:16

Love the mini rant about pink trainers - totally agree though.

On the subject of school trousers try BHS and the next plus. My 5'2" DD is 10 and a little curvy. I bought her last two pairs of school trousers from BHS and they do fit well.

BirdintheWings Tue 04-Feb-14 11:56:37

John lewis age 14-ish in slightly stretchy fabric fit DD without flapping round the thighs (she has a real apple tummy complemented with stick legs).

Seeline Tue 04-Feb-14 11:57:45

I was going to suggest BHS - they do 'fit the nation' for their school range which includes a 'generous' fit (I know - not an ideal name) but the boys ones work for my DS. Correct length for the age, but a bit more round the waist. I imagine the girls ones would be a more feminine shape!

chicaguapa Tue 04-Feb-14 13:05:00

Great! Sounds like BHS might be a good place to look then.

She started her periods last month so I think she's due a growth spurt soon and I don't want to spend too much on them if I can help it.

I looked at the stretchy ones but DH was a bit hmm at them and said that he'd never seen anyone wearing trousers like that at school and they might breach the uniform regs.

Starballbunny Tue 04-Feb-14 13:54:39

Strictly speaking the might. Our school seems to turn a blind eye to all manner of casual trousers. I think the SLT have decided they are better than very short skirts.

Personally I'm not convinced as we have regulation skirts which, to my eyes, look smarter even very short compared to leggings and scruffy skinny not quite black jeans.

Quinteszilla Tue 04-Feb-14 13:57:16

I dont know anything about girls trousers,
but I second the notion about PINK for adult womens trainers.

WTF confused I am so embarrassed to wear my new trainers, as they are pink, purple, and with sparkle! But they were the only ones with a comfortable fit! sad

BirdintheWings Tue 04-Feb-14 14:41:27

Yes, well, over here it's a case of 'fits the uniform regs' OR 'fits the child'! I prefer her to go in something that stays up. Builder's bum is not a cute look on the over-twos.

JL are honestly pretty demure and hard to tell from non-stretchy (at least the pair that DD has).

chicaguapa Tue 04-Feb-14 21:25:30

I got some generous fit trousers in BHS. The age 12s were way too big. The 11s are still a bit big around the bum area and are a bit like maternity trousers. But they're much better than the M&S ones so will do for now.

I also picked up some size 10 petite trousers in New Look which fitted her really well around the top, but she didn't like the straight leg and said they were too big around the ankles. hmm They were only £13 which I thought was ok for school trousers. So I'll keep an eye out for some slim leg ones from there.

I went into Next but there was nothing there and I don't have a Directory account. Will also look in JL when I'm next in there. Thanks for everyone's help.

Theas18 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:53:48

My curvy size 8 DD doesn't fit uniform trousers so wears a skirt...

Her concert black trousers fit perfectly and are, amazingly a short length size 8 cheapy work trouser from primark and seem indestructible!

Is the problem really that she wants " skinnies" and they aren't and never work school uniform or work trouser sylee?

MrsBright Wed 05-Feb-14 09:00:34

We just pick the stretchy jersey type material ones - Asda, Next or whoever is doing them this year. No firm waistband and an ample stretchy bum so much more comfortable. DD13 is 5'8 and 'chunky', now in Asda trousers size aged 16.

itsbetterthanabox Wed 05-Feb-14 09:03:12

Just buy ladies trousers in the petite section so they are shorter in the leg. Dorothy Perkins will have good ones.

hootloop Wed 05-Feb-14 09:15:07

I have hips and had to wear ladies skirts and trousers from about 13. I think my mum used to adjust them.

Also, my trainers are pink I bought them because I like pink things. I hate white trainers even my running shoes are grey with purple piping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now