Talk

Advanced search

mymaths or similar

(9 Posts)
boubly Sun 02-Feb-14 19:11:57

hi
my dc is at a secondary school which give homework via mymaths
sometimes a handout

although it is quite good as an aide is this a good substitute for a textbook and an exercise book?

with an exercise book full of worked examples you can see the worked examples marked right & wrong & where you have gone wrong

is this a better way of teaching maths?

titchy Sun 02-Feb-14 19:46:34

Mymaths shows you step by step how to do something, if you get it wrong you can go back and look at how to do it, then try the easier questions first to test you've got the basics. You don't have to hand your exercise book in or wait a week for it to be marked, then remember to check back and see whether you got the questions right or wrong. I think it's great!

titchy Sun 02-Feb-14 19:48:15

Oh the teacher does the teaching by the way, same as in the good old days. My maths just sets and marks homework, with worked examples if kids need reinforcement, or weren't paying attention. It's not a substitute for a real person teaching maths.

boubly Sun 02-Feb-14 20:03:36

but is it good substitute for a textbook and an exercise book with worked examples marked?
at the time of exams all those examples right and wrong are held in mymaths

webwiz Sun 02-Feb-14 20:14:30

Its not meant to be a substitute for an exercise book/textbook with worked examples its just for practising questions

titchy Sun 02-Feb-14 20:15:03

And? Mymaths, textbook, both give worked examples of how to do maths topics. Is there a reason dc can't use mymaths for revision? There are lots of revision guides and practice papers on it.

boubly Sun 02-Feb-14 20:25:21

Are online worked examples is as good as written down examples?

At exam time you can just go through your worked examples in an exercise book rather searching online or within mymaths
and presumably mymaths only gives correct worked examples
it doesn't show examples where you have gone wrong

the exercise book is the place where all your examples are written down, with corrected examples which were originally wrong

we learn from mistakes

it seems to me a bit like spellchecker

looplab Tue 04-Feb-14 12:40:52

Mymaths is OK, of course pen and paper is better but try telling this generation that. The best thing about MyMaths is that under 'Library' they can do extra MyMaths and their teacher will actually see the extra work they are doing. I used to pay my DS to do extra and it really helped. Watch out for the browser window flicking over to youtube though ;)
If he/she is older and likes Maths a lot, I think the OCR Additional Maths books are great for stretching them a bit, well a lot actually. I think there was an Edexcel algebra book that was OK too at providing practise in manipulating equations.

eatyourveg Tue 04-Feb-14 16:43:22

dc's school do mymaths and mathswatch in addition to the text book and exercise book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now