Talk

Advanced search

Reigate Grammar School 2014

(18 Posts)
capsulemum Thu 16-Jan-14 16:06:19

Hello there,

My DD got an invitation for interview from Reigate Grammar School. May I ask from your experience if Reigate Grammar invite all applicants for interview or only who passed its tests?

Thank you very much.

capsulemum

LIZS Thu 16-Jan-14 16:10:06

They screen out the most obvious no's but all that we knew had applied were interviewed.

capsulemum Thu 16-Jan-14 16:22:08

Thank you LIZS.

Could we assume that we might get a place? or it is too soon to say?

LIZS Thu 16-Jan-14 16:53:25

They make offers after the interviews but also no's so you can't assume anything.

Prawntoast Thu 16-Jan-14 17:07:54

Hi
I know of some that didn't pass the entrance exam who didn't get interviews but it's not a guarantee that you will get a place if you have an interview. Good luck, my DD is there and enjoying it.

ChocolateWombat Thu 16-Jan-14 17:12:47

If they gain an interview, their test result in itself is probably good enough for an offer. A few will be borderline and an interview will tip the balance either way. Some people will be rejected after interview if they were borderline and didnt persuade the interviewer. A few who passed the exam at a high level will be rejected after interview, but they will have to have made glaring mistakes in the interview, which is unusual. Most interviewed will get an offer. However if you have not been called for interview, you will definitiely not get an offer.
So having been called is a very good sign. Hope it goes well.

LIZS Thu 16-Jan-14 17:21:46

A few who passed the exam at a high level will be rejected after interview, but they will have to have made glaring mistakes in the interview, which is unusual Not sure about this tbh, even someone who performs well may not necessarily be deemed a good fit. They certainly used to have a less than inclusive SEN policy but new head may have changed that, alongside introducing pre-testing for 13+ and trying to attract international students.

ChocolateWombat Thu 16-Jan-14 17:29:58

LIZS I think Im probably saying the same thing as you. Someone may show themselves not to be a 'good fit' in the sense that they have no wider interests and are not interested in the joining in the wider life of the school. This would make them not a 'good fit' in your words. I guess I just referred to this as a glaring mistake. Surely everyone at interview knows to talk about wider interests. So yes, a few high achieves in the exam may not get an offer, but these will be the exception. Schools are keen to have those who score at the top end of entrance exams and there has to be a real reason to reject them. Most people who get a 'no' wont be in this category. They will have been borderline and just didn't convince the interviewer enough to take a chance on them.

ChocolateWombat Thu 16-Jan-14 17:33:16

Meant to add, schools won't interview someone who has no chance. It's not fair to the pupils and wastes the time of those interviewing. So getting an interview means someone has a real chance. It's just that some will need to do better than others in that interview, because of how they performed in the exam.

Prawntoast Thu 16-Jan-14 17:38:35

I'd agree that they are looking for the candidate to fit, also they asked my DD and a few of her friends if RGS was their choice or their parents.

ChocolateWombat Thu 16-Jan-14 17:52:49

Prawn toast, I agree. Schools want to know that pupils themselves are keen to come. Enthusiasm for the school and all that it offers counts for a lot and marks someone a good fit. Anything which suggests a candidate isn't enthusiastic or doesn't want to come sends the wrong message. Schools often ask now where siblings go too. Although siblings may go to different schools, they usually don't. If siblings are at a nearby rival school, it may suggest that a candidate is less serious about the one they are being interviewed by, especially if more than one sibling is at the other place. I don't think this prevents an offer being made, but it all contributes towards the picture of how keen/likely a student is to want to come and to accept an offer. Schools know that not everyone who is offered a place will accept it, so the interview is used to gauge the likelihood of this too.
In the end the interview is just one element of the decision making process. For those who have done well in the exam, it is mainly used to confirm that they should be given a place.

tom2468tom Thu 16-Jan-14 23:37:35

why not just ring and ask the Registrar or even the Head?

ChocolateWombat Fri 17-Jan-14 14:38:59

Prawn, great idea! A lot of speculation about entrance exams and interviews goes on here. The most accurate info must come from the school and I really don't think schools in general want these things to be a scary mystery.

capsulemum Fri 17-Jan-14 15:46:29

Thank you very everyone for all your comments and helpful advice.

My daughter so far has had enjoyed interviews with other two schools (Reigate Grammar is the last one for her.) She mentioned that the interview was too short (15 mins one to one) and she still had more to talk and the teacher also still wanted to listen to her. She passed one grammar school for girls and got an offer from one of the GDST schools. She likes Reigate Grammar because she likes books written by David Walliams (he went to Reigate Grammar).

Sheldonswhiteboard Fri 17-Jan-14 15:52:38

That's as good a reason as any I guess grin. Sounds like she will have some good options open to her.

htpt11 Fri 07-Feb-14 11:47:39

My DS was interviewed by Reigate too, DS was asked what other schools he had appilied too, and what the results were.. i think it's a bit unfair to ask a child about this, since he might have his own subconciuos preferences which are not necessaraly corespond to the parents' ones, and / or might not affect the final decision.. I am personallly a bit worried now since he did sit all top schools.

having said tha he really liked Reiagte - mainly due to being a co-ed school with a great variety of activities / space (he really enjoys music / drama / sports).

capsulemum Fri 07-Feb-14 13:56:12

Hello htp11,
My daughter was asked as well about other schools and when she told the teacher, she agreed with my daughter that it was hard to make decision. My daughter enjoyed the interview and loved the last question "what work would you do if you were a Prime minister of the UK?" She could talk about this for hours.

Fingers crossed...

htpt11 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:11:51

Let's hope for the best for our children, capsulemum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now