Talk

Advanced search

State schools in Taunton

(9 Posts)
fridgealwaysfull Wed 20-Nov-13 10:09:31

Hi, it looks like DH will be offered a job in Taunton and we're at the early stages of planning for this.
What are the best state secondary and primary schools? Thanks

maudpringle Wed 20-Nov-13 12:48:41

Best primary I would say is North Town and best Secondary Heathfield but they are not in the same catchment area afaik.Others may say Castle but they have a horrendous never- to - be - spoken of track record of dealing with ANY issues.Bullying etc

Sunnymeg Wed 20-Nov-13 21:56:29

If you can afford it, I would look at the village of Trull. The primary has had an outstanding reputation for a number of years, and I know many people who have been delighted with it. Houses there sell very quickly so you need to keep a close eye on local estate agents. Trull is about two miles from Taunton and is a very pretty village with lots going on.

Regarding secondaries, most of my friends have sent their children to either Castle of Bishop Fox:s. The Taunton Academy has a pretty dire reputation.

fridgealwaysfull Thu 21-Nov-13 09:59:52

Thanks, I'll look into those schools. Tbh we're more concerned about the secondary school as our youngest will only have 1 year left at primary so We'd rather move into the catchment area of a good secondary and put up with not-so-good primary for a year.

What area is Heathfield in? Is it a nice area to live in?
About Castle, is it good academically but rubbish at all the other stuff?
Thanks

fridgealwaysfull Thu 21-Nov-13 10:03:07

Also, are these two schools oversubscribed? Are they easy to get into if we live in the catchment are?

ormirian Thu 21-Nov-13 10:08:02

My godson and his younger brother went to North Town and Bishops Foxes - they came out with 11a*s and 6a*s, 2As and 3 Bs respectively. But that is purely anecdotal of course. All I can say honestly is they were happy and their parents had no complaints

QueenoftheSarf Fri 22-Nov-13 21:37:29

Go for Parkfield (primary)and Castle (secondary). They are both literally up the road from one another. Castle is just as good as Heathfield and has excellent results. You shouldn't be put off by hearsay stories about them not dealing with "issues". Such stories are very personal and specific to particular children and situations.

I'd advise looking at school websites and visiting the schools during the day with your children while they're actually working to really get a feel for them and the staff. I'm sure by doing that you'll know which one you think is right for your children, as will the children themselves.

fridgealwaysfull Wed 18-Dec-13 13:19:20

Thanks for your help, a great starting point smile

Fivos Mon 03-Apr-17 07:51:15

Hi guys,

me and the family are moving in Taunton and will be staying in Firepool. I had a look at the schools nearby and I have found North Town primary, St Andrews and St James primaries. Does anyone have an idea what they are like? My girls are 7 and 9 and since we are moving from Greece, their English are not that good. Any views and opinions would be great.
Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now