Advanced search

Changing school in Y9?

(9 Posts)
cwazycaz Thu 10-Oct-13 10:30:25

DC still very unhappy that didn't get 1st choice school in Y7. now in Y9, still hasn't made new friends and still quite miserable. was on waiting list for 1st choice school, but as area very competitive, DC has been going done the list. DC's current school is still a good school (rated outstanding). Should I consider change to another school? Is a transfer in Y9 possible? should I found out a bit more from current school?

LaVolcan Thu 10-Oct-13 12:37:15

Why not go and have a look at other schools which he would have a realistic chance of getting into, to see what they are like? If you found one which you think would suit him more, then the sooner you make the transfer the better. This would give him chance to settle in before GCSE choices are made.

cwazycaz Tue 15-Oct-13 12:36:13

thanks LaVolcan. the only other school possible is local academy which has improved a lot, but is not quite there yet. Still it seems like madness to remove DD from outstanding school to local academy, because she is miserable. but she is so miserable and hasn't made any friends. I don't think she is being bullied but she doesn't seem to "fit in" (her own words).

MrsDavidBowie Tue 15-Oct-13 13:06:14

Would she make friends at thenew school...?
The girls wouldbe in established friendship groups.

Is there a reason why she thinks she doesn't fit in?

One4TheRd Tue 15-Oct-13 13:06:45

My dd is literally about to change schools in Y8. She too is at an "outstanding" school and is moving to local academy. She has found it difficult to fit in and is very excited to finally be moving. I hope it all goes well for her and I am happier to move her sooner rather then later. I think moving your daughter after Y9 will be more tricky in the long run. Sometimes if you stop to think about something too long, you never do it! The social aspect of being a teenager is just as important as the academic I think. It's such a tricky one and I will let you know how we get on...Good luck!

LaVolcan Wed 16-Oct-13 08:30:47

Reputations of schools can lag behind what is actually happening to them. Our experience of this was limited to DS and primary school. He was miserable at the school his sister was at, so we went to look at another school. This didn't have the same reputation but in fact was rapidly improving. We liked what we saw. We moved him and he never looked back.

cwazycaz Mon 03-Mar-14 17:19:57

having a panic moment! after debating for weeks about changing school in y9, DC1 has settled in and made friends, is off to fab school trip in 2 weeks. Today received call with school offer for new school. missed out on the school in Y7 and been on waiting list ever since. never thought we would get in. now have to decide if it is still worth move so late in Y9. still waiting for school offer for dc2! too much stress for one day. any advice please?

intheenddotcom Mon 03-Mar-14 19:05:29

At this time of year I'd say no, unless you can get a guarantee that you'll be able to do the GCSEs she wants.

Most schools will have already done options.

offblackeggshell Mon 03-Mar-14 19:40:12

Can she go and have another look round the newly offered one? Definitely talk to them about options too. Schools here either handed in forms this week, or next. Nice problem to have finally!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now