Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts on JAGS for sixth form??

(19 Posts)
londonmummy436 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:32:23

Went to the JAGS open morning on saturday and both myself and DD were very impressed but would appreciate and thoughts on it

basildonbond Sun 06-Oct-13 23:07:22

they've lost a LOT of girls going into the sixth form this year - would be keen to know why

Marni23 Mon 07-Oct-13 09:31:00

I'd be keen to know why too!

VoiceofRaisin Mon 07-Oct-13 09:31:44

Don't. Just that.

Marni23 Mon 07-Oct-13 09:50:06

Can you elaborate VoiceofRaisin?

VoiceofRaisin Mon 07-Oct-13 17:12:02

i will see if I can pm you.

Marni23 Mon 07-Oct-13 18:11:46

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

WalterWhite Mon 07-Oct-13 18:23:10

My girls went through JAGS sixth form & loved the whole experience. At school from Year 7.

Shootingatpigeons Mon 07-Oct-13 19:45:39

A lot of girls' schools lose pupils in sixth form, and the co eds gain. The extent varies year to year, at a similar girls' school there was a big exodus(30%) in both my DDs' years. No one reason in older DDs year, because of the difficult cohort in younger DDs year. Previous and subsequent only lost around 8%.

londonmummy436 Mon 07-Oct-13 19:46:02

Thank you for your help, could you also pm with details on loosing a lot of sixth form.
Do many girls come from the wimbledon area?

WalterWhite Mon 07-Oct-13 20:04:30

Not really sure what you mean by 'losing a lot of sixth form'. In my daughters' years a handful went to Alleyn's who'd been at JAGS for some years and wanted a co-ed experience; a few of my daughters' friends went to local 6th forms & others wanted to study subjects not on offer at JAGS. New girls started in Year 12. A healthy mix of coming and going. The school is vibrant & high achieving. My girls were on bursaries and miss the place. Why don't you ask the school about the sixth form? Email them. I found them to be very welcoming, open & honest.

LondonMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:31:49

Londonmummy, from one LM to another, my daughter went to JAGS for the sixth form after five years at a comprehensive school. She loved it and recommends it unreservedly. We loved it too. I wouldn't pay too much attention to a one-year glitch, personally, if that's what it proves to be.

Shootingatpigeons Mon 07-Oct-13 22:50:07

Walter I mean exactly what I say, all the girls' schools in this part of London lose girls to exactly the destinations you list and whilst they recruit some from state schools, not as many come as go. There is an increase in the size of all the coed indie sixth forms and the boys schools that take girls in sixth forms . I can't imagine for instance that JAGs girls haven't gone to Westminster. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem, there wasn't in DD1s year, there was in DD2s (no school is immune to getting difficult characters in a year), just that some girls find the alternatives more attractive

londonmummy436 Tue 08-Oct-13 15:48:35

Thank you all for your comments, defiantly going to email them about entrance exams and different things! LondonMother, do you know if any girls come from the wimbledon area? Just we are over this way and not sure if DD would be the only one on the train in the mornings, not that it matters but would be interested to know!

LondonMother Tue 08-Oct-13 16:08:25

I don't, I'm afraid. We were in the other direction.

londonmummy436 Tue 08-Oct-13 16:40:23

Okay dont worry, were you aware of girls coming from quite a wide area as thats the impression we got from our tour guide on Saturday.

eruditestickler Fri 07-Mar-14 23:11:35

I go to JAGS and I came across this thread. If you have any questions about it, feel free to message me!

meditrina Sat 08-Mar-14 09:40:09

Question: how exactly did you come across this thread and the other you have pointed to post on?

eruditestickler Sun 09-Mar-14 07:25:04

My friend told me about it and I googled it and came across this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now