Talk

Advanced search

Parent day at Winchester college

(6 Posts)
Asianmum64 Mon 27-May-13 07:59:52

My DS is going to learn at Winchester. I read that there are many parent days. I live far away from the UK. It will be difficult for me to attend every time.

middleclassonbursary Mon 27-May-13 11:57:02

Lots from boys from abroad at Win Coll one parent/teacher meeting a year, in a few weeks "Winchester Match" a sort of open day for current parents etc, the odd social thing nothing compulsory I wouldn't worry if was you

Xpatmama88 Mon 27-May-13 12:22:32

The parent/teacher meeting is once a year. If your son is in JP, it will be after half term break in Nov. I highly recommend you to attend as he will have just spent his first 6 weeks there, a great opportunity to meet all the teachers, and his friends/their parents, discuss his progress and whether he has settled in school, and whether he is placed in the right set of various subjects plus all your other concerns. All the other events are not as important.
I also live overseas, so I know it is not easy to go to all the concerts/sports events/Winchester day/summer party, but parent day is the one that I will not miss!

Asianmum64 Mon 27-May-13 13:12:11

Thank you for your replies. Besides the parent day, what should I not miss in Winchester?

Is there anything else I should prepare for questioning in parent meeting?

Xpatmama88 Mon 27-May-13 14:24:08

I would say Winchester Day in June, is an open day of the school with various events. The house will prepare lunch for all parents attending, so you get to know other parents in the boarding house too. But it is not compulsory.

Xpatmama88 Mon 27-May-13 14:59:02

It is difficult to say what questions to prepare for parent meeting. It all depends on your child. During the half term break, he will certainly tell you all that had happened in school, whether he likes it or not, any problems (if any), whether he is doing OK or he finds it tough in some subjects.
You get to meet each subject teacher, and they will tell you how your child is doing within the set. They all aim to bring the best out of you son, and their expectations is high. Anyway, the boys there are all very bright, the learning is fast pace and very academic. It's a truly excellent school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now