Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else teary/have teary DCs over leaving school?

(6 Posts)
StabInTheDark Fri 24-May-13 21:39:27

Gutted. My eldest girl is DONE after fifteen years of school. She's teary, I'm teary- feels like the end of an era. Obviously we both understand that she has to move on, and she's had a very rough time there the past few months, so it's not as if she's desperate to stay- it's more a case of feeling she's not a little one anymore. She's come home tearful after the last assembly, a picnic and her final lesson, and very nostalgic looking through photographs etc.

I'm bloody dreading her leaving home in a few months. Want her to stay little forever please.

Suppose I just want a bit of a moan really. Not a lot than can be done and I know it's probably just natural for both of us to be feeling this way. Anyone else the same?

Gruntfuttocks Fri 24-May-13 21:44:10

It's a big day for both of you, quite a rite of passage. Perhaps feelings of relief that it's all over are also surfacing? I'd say it's perfectly normal to be quite emotional around this time, and to just be kind to yourselves, feel what you feel, have a good cry if you want to and know that this will all pass.
Can you focus on the positives of her growing up and becoming independent? Feel proud that you've done your job well?

Happymum22 Fri 24-May-13 23:00:39

I've had 3 gone through this one one got another few years to go. It is a weird time. Often lots has been leading up to the point, they have exciting plans for university, training or jobs, they feel ready to move on. At the same time it is a big moment of reflection and they look back and remember lots of great memories, friendships and so much to celebrate. They are often a bit anxious of letting go of the familiar, worried about exams and just very confused.
DD left her school, where she had been from 4-18, two years ago now. She loved it and often recalls memories. She is very much in the next stage of life though and still is very close to her friends. They all had a good cry on the last day, mainly happy tears of what incredible memories they had, then the excitement of post-exam parties and prom comes along and life goes on!

tiredaftertwo Mon 27-May-13 07:56:04

I am not looking forward to this. Pour yourself a glass of wine and wallow in some photo sorting with her this half term. I am sure it is natural.

mindgone Mon 27-May-13 20:07:19

Well, my DS is totally unemotional about leaving! He has has a great time there for the last 7 years, but is really ready to move on (hoping he doesn't have to resit the year!). I keep looking for some emotion, but just very practical about it all!

Milliways Mon 27-May-13 21:02:35

My DS has admitted he will really miss his school, he has absolutely loved the whole experience. He hopes all his friends continue to meet up in the Uni hols - probably at Reading Festival each year.

When he goes to Uni we will have an empty nest! DD went to Uni and never really came home again. She had holidays and internships to go to, and went straight from Uni to a new job and got married very soon afterwards, so now has her own house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now