Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know much about UTCs?

(18 Posts)
mummytime Wed 22-May-13 19:22:11

Does anyone know much about the new University Technical Colleges which are opening?
Would you consider sending a child there?
Do you think they will be allowed to fail?

creamteas Wed 22-May-13 19:44:34

There is a UTC near me. with has entry into year 10 or sixth form

It only opened last year, so the jury is still out results wise. The numbers that went in last year were very low (which has been a common problem I think).

Personally I would never sent a child in year 10 as I think the curriculum offered at this age are far to narrow and close down too many options later on. I would also worry about setting into a new school at such a crucial time.

It might be a good sixth form option though, if they did the right subjects .

beatback Wed 22-May-13 21:21:10

The J.C.B Academy in Staffordshire is a U.T.C. In the short time it has been open it has achieved great things,check out the website to inform yourself.

burberryqueen Wed 22-May-13 21:28:21

my daughter and son have been accepted to start at a newly opening UTC in year 10, we were there today, and the subjects offered were far wider than their school in Wales - for example there will be drama and music and set design and digital technology as well as more science options than their present school offers (only single science GCSE is offered in Wales) It is the one opening at Elstree, and we are all quite excited about it. Certainly better than compulsory GCSE in Welsh and RE, no offence to anyone......

beatback Wed 22-May-13 21:34:44

If you look at the Sponsors list, at the J.C.B Academy,it reads like a whos who, of some of the best engineering companies in the country. U.T.C"s or something similar should have been started 30 years ago.

creamteas Wed 22-May-13 21:52:49

Beatback The UTC near me has a long list of sponsors, although currently none of them seem to have actually done anything other than lend their logos to the website.

It is also an engineering one, and doesn't offer an humanities or arts subjects at all at KS4. So if you go off engineering, you don't have a lot of other options.

Phineyj Wed 22-May-13 21:57:19

We have an engineering and maths one opening near us and they offer a range of art and design options. I would definitely have considered it if it had existed when I was 14.

beatback Wed 22-May-13 22:16:05

Creamteas. You are right it does not seem to offer History or Geography,but offers religious studies "NOT GREAT" offers German as only foreign language. It has extension courses that includes street dance,music and some really enterprising courses though. For some DC"S it could be a fantastic opportunity, to enhance their educational horizons and reinvigorate their enjoyment in education and achieve their educational potential. They also say the basic Diploma is worth 7 G.C.S.E"S,and the advanced Diploma is worth 3.5 A levels.

mummytime Thu 23-May-13 08:02:44

The one I have been looking at offers History or Geography, and a choice of 3 languages (but only studying them to GCSE "if you want"). It is also doing BTecs not Diplomas, the sponsors are great though.
We are sort of thinking about the sixth form for DS (although he might have loved it at 14 too).

The most attractive thing for us is the "no homework" policy which might make the commute worthwhile.

creamteas Thu 23-May-13 18:40:16

I thought the Diplomas are being phased out? You might want to check.

I would not be keen of my DC doing diplomas as they never took off. I can't imagine that most employers don't know what they are, and I would worry that this would be a barrier later on.

southeastastra Thu 13-Jun-13 19:37:33

there is one opening near us too soon, i hadn't even heard of them until today! so far it sounds quite good...

bucksmum71 Thu 25-Sep-14 12:16:47

My son has just started at the Heathrow UTC and is loving it in year 10 he gets to do level 2 engineering, ict, math,science,geography, ethics, English and astronomy as an extra.

It wouldn't suit everyone, it's longer days 830 - 500. Business dress (suit and tie) and shorter holidays

My impressions so far are he is thriving but watch this space

Decorhate Thu 25-Sep-14 18:12:21

The word on the street is that local schools are offloading all their unruly pupils to the one nearest me. Just something to think about.

homework Thu 25-Sep-14 18:26:52

Hi decorhate , just interested in which one this is , as one near us is good , has a few unruly pupils , well according to my child , but the vast majority are well behaved .
As with any school there will always be a few children who misbehave , no matter where they are . This is nature of education these days as some children have no discipline within there lives , or fight against any that is put into place.

Decorhate Thu 25-Sep-14 20:28:10

Oh I know every school has children with behavioural issues. I work in a school. I just get the feeling that this particular UTC may end up with more than its fair share.

TeaAndALemonTart Thu 25-Sep-14 20:59:24

Our local one had a reputation for taking all the DOcs with behaviour issues but to be fair they have been up and running for two years now and are trying to change that. I would not choose it yet but after a few more years would at least look at it.

whathaveiforgottentoday Tue 30-Sep-14 17:08:20

I think they are a fabulous development catering for an area of
Education that has been neglected for many years. If my dd's we're interested in the subjects on offer I would definitely go for it.

sarrob6 Sat 14-Feb-15 09:44:48

I am considering sending my son to a new UTC - speciality the Health Service, opening Sept 2015, can anyone provide me with views/feedback regarding their own experiences of their children attending a UTC please? We have been offered a place at the new school and son is happy to go BUT it means taking him out of a good local school (but uninspiring). Am struggling with this decision as the school is new with no track record whatsoever, but I have attended all the roadshows and lectures and at face value sounds a fantastic opportunity - but it could just be a v good sales job...thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: