Talk

Advanced search

Sixth Form applications

(4 Posts)
crazypippa Fri 17-May-13 11:45:14

My son has received conditional offers from 3 6th form colleges. One of the admission criteria for these colleges is that he must attend an induction day. The thing is, two of the colleges have induction days on same date. What does he do? Adivce please :-)

monikar Fri 17-May-13 12:28:49

My DD is in year 12 and had this problem last year with two induction days on the same date. She attended the induction day for the sixth form she was most interested in and just told the other sixth form, by e-mail, that she had 'an important commitment' on that day and so wouldn't be able to attend. I thought it was better to be vague as a 'commitment' could be a medical appointment or interview.

She attended 3 induction days in total and they comprised 'taster lessons' in each subject and gave out some holiday homework. Your son could request in his explanatory e-mail that the sixth form forward him the holiday work, so he at least has it.

Having been through the system, I don't think a sixth form can refuse to have your son just because he hasn't attended the induction day. Some people would be on holiday for instance. It is very worrying at the time though, especially when they have GCSEs to contend with as well.

Good luck.

mumslife Fri 17-May-13 12:50:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Casey Sun 19-May-13 09:48:01

Are the conditions different for the three offers?
For ds1's 6th form they have to tick on the application form that they will attend the FULL WEEK induction, and again when he accepted the offer. For them it is something taken very seriously. Fortunately he was given one of the unconditional offers, so he isn't juggling two institutions, which is a relief.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: