Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice on getting a school place after moving home.

(6 Posts)
EarthMotherImNot Fri 10-May-13 11:44:05

Please bear with this is as it may be long winded:

DD1 has recently moved from Scotland to us here in England. Partly because of my health issues but also she was feeling quite isolated, hated her job etc etc.
After long discussion with our grandson 14 and us it was decided she would apply for jobs down here to get the lay of the land. Lo and behold she got one of the first she applied for so things began moving swiftly.

She informed grandsons school he would be leaving and she contacted our local secondary school who assured her there would be a place for him and all she had to do was contact them when she had definate start dates.
At the end of that conversation it emerged that GS had some one to one at his Scottish school and that he had undertaken one year again following a difficult time at his old school.

They are now saying they have given his place away and she has been called to an appeal regarding this. She will of course attend this but wonders what else she could be doing help him. At present he is stuck at home with us and while we are supervising work DD1 gives him each day it's not what he needs.

My health issues are such that stability, peers to have around and some semblance of normal life, not limbo, is what is needed.

This appeal is two more weeks away and she is unsure if she should be applying to schools further away when part of her case is that the desired school is very close to home.

I hope I've given enough info but please, anyone, ask if I haven't. Thank you

tiggytape Fri 10-May-13 12:10:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EarthMotherImNot Fri 10-May-13 14:48:21

Thank you tiggy. Applying for only one school has happened because we live in a town made up of lots of small villages so children from the village tend to go to the local nursery, infants then junior schools IYSWIM.

It was in DD's day too.

The school suggested not applying elsewhere when she first contacted them because they had a place for him. None of us saw any reason to go against this. It feels very much that she should have dealt directly with the council from the outset but hindsight only works afterwards.

My Macmillan nurse who visited today has offered to write to the appeal explaining the need for normality for our grandson, moving house, school area, country even, not withstanding and we are very tempted to try this. Will it come across as too heavy would you say? Again thank you for your help.

tiggytape Fri 10-May-13 15:03:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EarthMotherImNot Fri 24-May-13 05:59:51

Brief update for tiggytape: Our GS had his appeal yesterday and wonsmile on the grounds that the school had not presented it's case well enough.

We are very relieved and, hopefully, we move forward now. Its our first piece of good luck for ages. Thank you for your responses flowers

mummy1973 Fri 24-May-13 10:05:06

smile congratulations

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: