Talk

Advanced search

A level choices what would you do?

(11 Posts)
Fairyliz Wed 08-May-13 17:28:46

We live 10 mins walk from a school with a very good reputation. However when my oldest daughter was choosing her A level subjects three years ago, her choices were limited due to timetable constraints. She ended up doing 2 A levels she was really keen on and 2 she was a bit meh about. She dropped one after two months because she hated it and one before the AS exams as she was really struggling. So ended up with two A levels at A grade.
My youngest child is due to start A levels in the autumn and has the same problem with timetabling so she cannot do the A levels she really wants. There is a school about an hour journey away where she could study the subjects she want and it has an ok reputation.
Any thoughts? Is it better to go to the nearer school and hope you enjoy the subjects or do the ones you want at a not so good school? Are 2 good A levels better or worse than 3 or 4 at a lower grade?
Thanks

circular Wed 08-May-13 18:36:46

Does your daughter know what she wants to do after A levels.?
universities generally require 3 A levels, and may want specific subjects depending on the course.

I suspect if she is hitting timetable clashes, its either a small sixth form or an unusual subject combination (or both)

Generally, students do better taking subjects they enjoy, and A levels are a big jump from GCSE.

An hour isn't that bad for 2 years, but not ideal, unless its a really brilliant school. My own daughter is in a similar situation and will leave her current school in order to take the subjects she wants. she would have been willing to travel up to 1.5 hours, but its looking like she won't have to as has been offered places nearer.

Do you only have the two schools to choose from?

nextphase Wed 08-May-13 18:55:34

Are there any other schools or collages closer which can do the combo she's after?
Are you prepared to say what it is she wants to do? Seems unusual that neither child could get an arrangement they were happy with.

Fairyliz Wed 08-May-13 20:53:03

No more schools any nearer than 1 hour. She wants to do English, History Business Studies plus one other; but cannot do both English and History which seems odd to me. Is it?
Another problem is that she has absolutely no idea what she wants to do after A levels. By a process of elimination we have got it down to 'working in an office', just because she doesn't seem to like any of the alternative!

notfluffy Wed 08-May-13 23:09:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Thu 09-May-13 04:40:36

Does she have to do A Levels if she wants to work in an office? Would an apprenticeship be better?

cricketballs Thu 09-May-13 18:19:48

notfluffy - Business Studies is not just for office work (infact it is on the list of the MN holy grail of RG unis as a facilitating subject for some courses grin). It covers a wide range of skills, knowledge that unless you don't ever work/watch news/vote etc you will use at some point in your life.

getting fed up of having to defend a worthwhile and relevant subject on MN despite it being the most popular subject/base of degree courses in the country (and yes, of course you don't need it at GCSE/A level but why not study a subject that has so much relevance to real life

Fairyliz Sat 11-May-13 14:34:41

I think a big problems is that she has absolutely no idea what she wants to do for a career! Its made worse by the fact that she doesn't even really have a favourite subject that she would love to study further.
Any suggestions where she could get some really good careers advice?

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 14:52:54

I would let my DD choose, and otherwise minded towards the one an hour away. Can she study on the bus/train?

cory Sat 11-May-13 16:13:14

An hour's travel doesn't seem excessive to me for this age group.

speedology Fri 05-Jul-13 20:02:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now