Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Leicester

(4 Posts)
Chazjm Fri 19-Apr-13 19:36:12

We may be moving to Leicestershire. I would like to find out about the school system in this area. We are currently on Scotland. I have a boy born June 1999 and would like to know if he would start GCSEs next September. I believe there are 11-14 schools. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Tinuviel Sat 20-Apr-13 22:22:50

I grew up in Leicestershire and AFAIK it hasn't changed. Primaries are 4-11 from Reception through to year 6. Secondaries are split into Key Stage 3 (11-14), that is years 7-9 and then upper schools (mine included a 6th form) which cover key stage 4.

I really liked the fact that we moved at 14 - no choosing subjects 'because I like the teacher'; a fresh start with new pupils/teachers. 2 'high schools' fed into our upper school, so the friendship pool really expanded.

Tinuviel Sat 20-Apr-13 22:24:21

Your DS would currently be in year 9, so would move into year 10 and GCSE subjects this September (2013).

Chazjm Sun 21-Apr-13 08:20:39

Thank you guys, that is really helpful. Don't suppose you know of any schools that are particularly good for music and expressive arts? Probably too broad a question - I am new to site!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now