Talk

Advanced search

'Requires Inprovemet..' bit concerning

(7 Posts)
eminemmerdale Fri 19-Apr-13 17:10:25

DS has just shown us his school's OFSTED. It says the school requires improvement ad is quite frightening in its observations. t has recently become an academy, prior to which is was 'satisfactory' The catchment schools are so varied - from ds primary, which is one of the best in the city, to two which are really bad sad He is doing wel, but I am really worried now. I don't know what to do to help really. The school ued to be absolutley appalling (I worked there for a while - was once threatened wit a knife by a pupil!!) but then turned around and was really doing well (at which point I was transferred to the school the sent all the badly behaved pupils to!!) So, I a very surprised. Is it due to th academy status? DS is very upset as he likes his school, how can I reassure him?

eminemmerdale Fri 19-Apr-13 17:11:47

excuse spelling - laptop has virtually had it!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 19-Apr-13 17:14:35

My son's school has recently been classed as "requires improvement". The school sent a letter accompanying the report, and while there were concerning areas (as well as some excellent teaching!) they explained that prior to Autumn 2012 (I think) "requires improvement" was called "satisfactory.

They've changed the names of the categories. The school hasn't necessarily gone downhill.

eminemmerdale Fri 19-Apr-13 17:22:37

ah - our letter didn't say that !

snickersnacker Fri 19-Apr-13 19:15:49

Yep - 'satisfactory' has been renamed 'requires improvement'.

givemeaclue Sat 20-Apr-13 15:00:12

Yes, all schools have to now aim to be good schools.

However he the observations made about the school are frightening, its worth seeing what other schools are available

anniesw Mon 22-Apr-13 10:16:39

The school will have to make rapid change now to show Ofsted that it is improving. So you should see immediate improvements and may be best to stay and benefit from those. There is a lot of pressure on schools to move from Requires Improvement up to Good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now