Talk

Advanced search

How much should the aesthetics of a school affect a decision?

(6 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 19-Apr-13 13:51:51

We are moving house hopefully this year and have been looking in our current area and also slightly outside the area too. Outside the area we can get much more space for our money housewise so today I looked at the local secondary as that is one of the major factors in our decision of where to go. The school results wise does very well and is on par with the local school here. However I got a feeling about it today that I can't shake off. The students seemed nice and well behaved but the building itself was horrible. The ugliness of the outside was not the main concern it was the fact that inside was entirely grey (grey lino and grey walls) which made the whole place feel very cold and clinical. It felt depressing to be honest and would I want my kids to be in that kind of environment? Part of the problem I suppose is that I went to a private school so even though it was an old building it was kept very well and everything was carpeted and freshly painted.

Am I expecting too much? I am due to look around other schools soon so I will have a comparison but I don't know if I am looking at this in the right way?

creamteas Fri 19-Apr-13 17:00:28

To me the feel for a school does not really include the decor. My DCs school is great. DS1, an academic child got the top grades. DS2 was assisted into a great apprenticeship and the younger two DC are benefiting from excellent pastoral care (both SEN).

But the buildings are terrible, including one which has been held up by scaffolding and props for the last few years, and will probably get worse thanks to Gove for cancelling the refit

Look round more, it might put it into perspective

cavell Fri 19-Apr-13 19:25:43

Dd2's old school looked lovely - nice garden at the entrance, a number of brand-new classrooms... bright, shiny, colourful. Despite that, the education on offer was, frankly, appalling.

noblegiraffe Fri 19-Apr-13 22:22:08

The Tories cut the Building Schools for the Future fund when they got in, then maintenance budgets for many schools were slashed. Lots of schools are in a pretty shoddy state as a result.

bluepapermonkey Fri 19-Apr-13 22:25:49

wait til you see the others.

meanwhile, relax.

rara67 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:02:33

Our local senior school is state of the art, cost £38m a couple of years ago. Latest OFSTED - Inadequate.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now