Talk

Advanced search

Yr7 "revision"

(15 Posts)
Gales Wed 17-Apr-13 10:07:47

DS1 has to revise for an RE test (although issue is a theme across all his subjects)

In my day (swot) this would have meant getting out my beautifully presented exercise book full of detailed notes and re-reading, making more notes and getting my mum to test me.

DS1 doesn't appear to have any notes shock His exercise books are untidy with just a few lines on each topic. He does had a fine motor problem which makes writing difficult for him, so I'll give him some slack, but is this his "fault" or is this common/the way it's done these days? How do children revise nowadays?

I've looked at BBC schools website which has some decent material about the main religions and their festivals (which is what her needs to revise) but I know it's going to be hard work getting him to apply himself to it. What level of detail does he need?

I'm not treating the RE as the most important thing in the world, but it is the current issue and a recurrent theme.

His writing problem is significant enough that he gets some SN help, but not for him to use a lap top etc. The feeling is that he needs the practice and therefore a laptop wold be counter productive

gazzalw Wed 17-Apr-13 11:55:13

I feel your pain Gales and not sure I can offer much constructive help. DS, also, Yr 7, did very little revision at all. Again his books were a catastrophe of unglued in papers etc....not the most useful stuff from which to revise. We ended up getting him the entire syllabus of KS3 revision aids out of the library. Needless to say a lot wasn't relevant. Not sure he did much at all but we can only hope he will learn by his errant ways this year. He is very clever naturally so suspect he won't have done badly despite essentially 'winging it'!

booksteensandmagazines Wed 17-Apr-13 12:26:03

My son has some similar issues and its hard when you open up a sort of empty exercise book and sometimes even find sentences that are abandoned half way. Given the school are aware that eh struggles I would email the RE teacher and ask what sort of answers are expected int he test (one word, one sentence, a paragraph, an essay) as this will effect what your son will be able to do and if its the longer style answer then perhaps have a chat to see how his knowledge can be assessed without him being penalised for his writing. I would also ask what specific topics are going to be covered and ask for recommended resources or access to a more complete set of notes. If you approach it that you realise his notes may be incomplete and you would like to help prepare him for the test rather than putting the teacher on the defensive then hopefully they will work with you.

Gales Wed 17-Apr-13 12:26:22

Yes!! the worksheets that are just a crumpled mess at the bottom of his school bag!

eatyourveg Wed 17-Apr-13 13:04:04

I'd email the RE teacher too

TeenAndTween Wed 17-Apr-13 13:13:40

At my DDs school they seem to write little in exercise books and don't get text books to bring home.
I have ended up buying (mainly from Oxfam) various reference texts and revision guides (eg CGP). DD now in Y9, I have just bought an RE GCSE textbook. ...

treas Wed 17-Apr-13 15:02:22

Ds's school don't seem to actively encourage revision for exams as they don't let the children bring home their class exercise books in which they work unless given a homework that needs to be written up in them.

Fortunately, ds has an amazing memory and always gets good marks.

Unfortunately, this means that he has no revision skills what so ever.

gazzalw Wed 17-Apr-13 16:45:07

Do you think we learned revision skills in Year 7 - pretty sure I don't recall revising anything at that age/stage?

bigTillyMint Thu 18-Apr-13 13:51:41

DS is supposed to be revising for exams at the momenthmm Not a good combination with puberty hitting!

He has been given revision packs for most subjects and is supposed to be using bitesize and googling for Youtube/other stuff which is useful.

He doesn't have an amazing memory and is finding it really difficult to focus. I am hoping he will improve with agesmile

gazzalw Fri 19-Apr-13 09:02:58

Good luck to your DS bigTillyMint! It's a difficult time for them isn't it...

DS seems to be getting solid 60%s in his Year 7 exams (ish) which is pretty good going in a super-selective when he couldn't have done less revision! We said that he could be up there near the top if only he put some effort in hmm.

He reckons he will next year but we shall see....

bigTillyMint Fri 19-Apr-13 17:10:02

Gazza, have just been searching for a clear pencil case - he will probably have to use DD's broken pink one!
%'s seem to be the thing for SS's - DD's school gives NC levels!

eatyourveg Fri 19-Apr-13 21:37:41

sainsburys do clear pencil cases for around 99p

bluebell222 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:58:38

i just wish they had school books for each subject that they follow up at school and they can follow up at home, too.
things would be easier that way.
the curriculum is so confusing to me even if i get support books.
my dc has many papers stuck in notebooks, too, looks so untidy.

bigTillyMint Sat 20-Apr-13 07:26:18

Oooh thanks veg - will have to dash up there!

bluebell, the DC never bring textbooks home, though I think they sometimes use them in lessons. Probably just as well as their bags weigh a tonne anyway. They have to research everything on t'internet which can be time-consuming, but at least they don't just get the one biased view of the text-book author. We have bought revision books for DD in some subjects (started GCSE syllabus) and they seem really helpful.

invicta Sun 21-Apr-13 05:15:03

All good bookshops have KS3 workbooks and revision guides which are useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now