Talk

Advanced search

secondary schools in Kingston upon thames?

(14 Posts)
sinulienka Sat 13-Apr-13 12:20:03

Need best state secondary schools in Kingston upon Thames or Richmond. Which area has better schools? At the moment Coombe girls seems good, is it a good school? Or Orleans Park? Teddington?? What are the chances of getting in these schools now after the admissions deadline?? because We're moving to the area in the summer.
And is it possible to apply for a school in another council/borough from where we live?

Gigondas Sat 13-Apr-13 12:23:35

If you go into mumsnet local Richmond on thames there is a ton of stuff on secondary schools there. The issue in Richmond is complicated as there is a new catholic school opening in sept 2013 which affects entries .

It is almost impossible to answer your question but i think admission to teddington and Orleans is particularly tight on distance so I wouldn't rate your chances.

OnGoldenPond Sat 13-Apr-13 12:35:38

Coombe girls is an excellent school, and also extremely oversubscribed. To be in with a chance of a place you would need to move almost next door to the school in order to get to the top of the waiting list. Even then you might not get a place before September as hardly anyone lets a place go.

tiggytape Sat 13-Apr-13 12:54:18

If you have missed the admissions deadline, it is very unlikey you will be allocated one of the 'best schools' Even people who live very close to them and apply on time cannot get a place - they are massively oversubscribed.

All you can do is identify the one/s you want and move as close to it as possible to boost your position on the waiting list (waiting lists are ordered by how well you meet sibling, distance and other criteria not by the date you applied). However, you cannot be asked to be added to these lists until you've actually moved and generally places from the waiting lists start being allocated in April / May. There may or may not be lots of additional movement in late Summer.

When you have a Kingston address, you apply to the council and list the schools you like. If those schools have a place and nobody is above you on the waiting list, you will get an offer.
If however you only apply to schools that are already full, the council cannot offer you a place at them and will instead give to a place at the nearest available school with places. You won't necessarily get one of your named choices.

As well as waiting lists, you can appeal. Once you have applied, if you are rejected, you can appeal for a place. This involves going before an independent panel and explaining why you want a place at a full school and how your need for a place outweighs the fact they are full

CherryEmma Sun 14-Apr-13 07:30:09

Hi sinulienka, you could post this thread on http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/kingston-upon-thames/local-active too.

Zhabr Sun 14-Apr-13 07:53:55

OP, you need to call both Kingston and Richmond LEA's and ask about the chances of getting secondary school place. As Tiggytape said, you need to live in the area before you can join the waiting list. So at the moment you need to decide which area you would like to live-Teddington, Twickenham or New Malden. If you are moving into Kingston town centre, chances of getting anywhere are slim.

Mrsrobertduvall Sun 14-Apr-13 08:06:06

Yes, CGS definitely full with a waiting list.
There isn't a great deal of movement in the year groups.

Blu Sun 14-Apr-13 20:26:53

Yes. You can apply to Schools in any borough.

There is much hype and frenzy about best schools. Many of which are declared 'best' on results which reflect a highly competitive intake and nothing about the teaching. You might do well to move to the very doorstep of an ok school that does well by each of it's ability groups (see the school profiles on the Dept of Ed website) and by being on the doorstep you will be top of the waiting list as soon as someone drops out or leaves.

sinulienka Wed 17-Apr-13 17:30:31

Thanks everyone for replies, I forgot to add that I would be applying for year 10 so starting my gcses this year, would there be any chances to get into those schools? If I wouldn't would I be at home for a period of time? Because I wouldn't want to miss out any school just at the start of my gcses.

AmazingDisgrace Thu 18-Apr-13 13:10:20

Grey Court? Technically just over the border in Richmond but much of its intake from Kingston. The school has just been rated outstanding in all areas by Ofsted if that's any help.

Copthallresident Thu 18-Apr-13 13:20:10

OP Entry in Year 10 is largely a matter of luck of the draw. I would ring around and find out where there are places, DD was at very oversubscribed school but a difficult year group meant a few left and there were unusually places.

sinulienka Thu 18-Apr-13 17:38:18

alright thanks alot, grey court got outstanding? I looked it up and it said overall rated satisfactory... hmmm don't know, I'm not sure because I would prefer a school that's better in art and music subjects not only focused on academic ones.

fumanchu Thu 18-Apr-13 18:33:47

Grey Court was inspected a few weeks ago and is outstanding in all areas. My daughter is in year 8 and I am really impressed with it.

titchy Thu 18-Apr-13 21:49:30

I'm not sure you'll be able to pick and choose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now