Talk

Advanced search

Stockport Grammar vs Urmston Grammar

(7 Posts)
bumblebee81 Wed 30-Jan-13 23:32:05

My ds is starting secondary school in September and we're torn between Stockport Grammar and Urmston Grammar. He is a clever boy but has many extra curricular interests such as sport, drama,music and more sport! He likes both schools, as do I. Any advice?

GreatUncleEddie Thu 31-Jan-13 14:26:40

Well they are a long way apart and one is independent and one is state. where do you live and can you afford the fees? Urmston is poor for extra curricular stuff, Stockport is excellent.

bumblebee81 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:50:19

We live kind of in the middle with good public transport to both. I'm a single mum on a low income and my son scored very highly on the exam so we are hoping for a bursary. The LEA said although we are not on the door step for urmston we have a very good chance of a place this year.

I'm a little worried about fees as I am hoping my finances will chance in the next few years which would effect any bursaries and dd is hot on her brother's heels in year 4.

That said my ds is pretty keen on Stockport and he worked so hard for it! He currently attends a school in the middle of a council estate and hit the books pretty hard to prepare for his entrance exams.

GreatUncleEddie Fri 01-Feb-13 09:04:17

Most bursaries are only a percentage of fees though, you'll have to wait for the offer before you can decide whether it is possible I think. Bus fares are pretty expensive too.

bumblebee81 Fri 01-Feb-13 15:52:31

I can certainly stretch to bus fare dinners, uniform etc as I do work but my income is well below their threshold for 100% bursaries. I will of course wait for my offer before making any hard and fast decisions but I would like to have an idea before hand as to what would be our best option.

bumblebee81 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:04:46

Also bursaries are awarded on merit, in terms of exam scores, an as I mentioned earlier ds scored very highly :-)

user1484176610 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:10:06

Hello.. just wanted to know if you got the bursary for your child at stockport grammar?

My children have interviews next week and am hoping they get a place with bursary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now