Talk

Advanced search

Communication with school

(11 Posts)
Lynned Wed 12-Dec-12 09:06:44

If you sent an email to school regarding homework and problems with a subject, how soon would you expect a reply?( I sent an email 9 days ago, and am still waiting..)

YDdraigGoch Wed 12-Dec-12 09:12:52

I would have expected to receive a reply by now, but things happen. Our school has had dreadful problems with the email system lately. Or I guess the teacher concerned may be off sick or on a school trip.
Phone the school and ask to make an appt. but don't pre-judge the lack of response. Life gets in the way sometimes.

3b1g Wed 12-Dec-12 09:12:57

I think it would be reasonable to expect a reply within a week.

mummytime Wed 12-Dec-12 09:13:10

It depends. Who did you send it to? Was it a named individual with responsibility for that area, or someone like the Head of Year, Form tutor or even the office.

Whatever I would probably try to chase it after 9 days by phone. I would expect an apology for not having been contacted sooner. However the individual could be a) snowed under (especially true of music teachers at this time of year) or b) on sick leave.

Lynned Wed 12-Dec-12 09:15:40

I chased it up yesterday. This wouldn't be the first time. My son was bullied at the start of the year and I only got a response after emailing the head. I really don't want to go down that route again, but would like an answer before the end of term!

Lynned Wed 12-Dec-12 09:17:05

I emailed the 'family' leader. I think they are busy, but how long would a one line acknowledgement take?

YDdraigGoch Wed 12-Dec-12 15:48:01

Not to excuse the school, but if I was that concerned, I would either 'phone or go in person to arrange an appointment to discuss with someone. I wouldn't rely on email - too easy to ignore/think someone else is dealing with it.

Lynned Wed 12-Dec-12 16:05:11

Now have appointment with form tutor. Concerns re lack of homework (y7) compared to his friends! Looked at his Maths book, exercises incomplete in class, he says class is too noisy to concentrate. He has already gone down a set, which was probably right, but at this rate he will drop another set.

3b1g Wed 12-Dec-12 21:47:12

It's good that you're actually going to speak to someone. Well done for staying on top of things with regard to his progress, but I'd be a bit concerned that the school haven't picked any of this up. Have you had a parents' evening yet?

YDdraigGoch Thu 13-Dec-12 14:49:52

My DD has consistently (5 years) complained that she can't concentrate in maths class because of the noise, and other unruly kids. She's in Set 2 of four sets, but is borderline C/D (though A/B in all other subjects). In her GCSE year, we have finally bitten the bullet and arranged a tutor for her - she's racing ahead!

Lynned Sun 16-Dec-12 17:07:41

Our parents evening isn't until next term, nearly half way through the year, not useful! I'm now very concerned about the Maths teacher! His form tutor is putting him on report, so he will have work signed off each lesson, so we shall see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: