Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me to find a complete list of year 7 targets? Please!

(12 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Wed 07-Nov-12 14:07:46

Yes, I know I am here again asking about year 7 but I would be very grateful if someone, anyone, could point me in the direction of (non-PDF) expected levels for the end of year 7 for ALL subjects and an idea of what would be below/on/ above target. I'll be your BFF.

noblegiraffe Wed 07-Nov-12 14:18:26

I'm sure such a thing might exist but it would be made up nonsense so are you sure you want it?

You could do the trick of saying that a level 4 is 'expected' at KS2 and a level 5 (or 6 depending on who you ask) is 'expected' at KS3 and simply divide by 3 then fudge together some sublevels?

Levels aren't designed to be used in a yearly target way. Children's progress doesn't work like that.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:56:54

the targets for my two children were different because THEY are different

Tinuviel Wed 07-Nov-12 15:45:17

They are expected to make 2 sub-levels progress (more or less) per year. So if they were 4a at the end of KS2, they will have a target of 5b at the end of year 7. MFL will be slightly different as they are usually starting from the beginning but still have to make 3 levels of progress through secondary school.

Tinuviel Wed 07-Nov-12 15:45:39

But it's all nonsense anyway!

eatyourveg Wed 07-Nov-12 15:55:21

Do you mean you would like a copy of the level descriptors to see what pupils should be doing to get a particular level? You should find them here They won't tell you what targets a Y7 should have because as previous posters have said no two children are the same.

StarsGhostTail Wed 07-Nov-12 17:03:28

And don't stress too much.

Y7 levels have a tendency to be pulled out of thin air and go down as well as up.

DD1 didn't get sensible ones until the end of Y9

I'm hoping much more conventional, non dyslexic, DD2's will be more logical, but given how hard they were crammed for their KS2 SATs I won't be worried if I don't see a lot of progress.

BoundandRebound Wed 07-Nov-12 20:21:21

Targets are personal aren't they. I could tell you my son's targets but don't see how that would help you.

Have you asked the school ?

redandwhitesprinkles Wed 07-Nov-12 20:24:41

They don't exist as all levels are based on achievement at the end of year 9. They were never designed to be sub-levelled and anything broken down to year 7 or 8 are basically made up (or educated guesses by teachers).

redandwhitesprinkles Wed 07-Nov-12 20:26:15

Sorry all level descriptors. English and math and maybe science have broken down levels as part of app which give more info but as previously said depends on a child's starting point.

Dominodonkey Wed 07-Nov-12 20:51:12

Thanks stars . It is so hard to explain why their child who got a level 5 at ks2 has got a 5c still at end of year 7. X

StarsGhostTail Wed 07-Nov-12 21:45:04

grin Domino
It's a bit of a bug bear of mine. DD1 got a scribe for English, because the school refused to acknowledge she was dyslexic until the 11th hour. She promptly manage to get one of their only two L5s.
But she only got 4b for Maths because her arithmetic is very slow.

DD2 did 6 hours maths a week (1hr level 6 club after school) and 5 hours English in Y6. OFSTED had a fit at DD1's cohorts results, so DD2 year got worked far harder.

Then she had 12 weeks doing none (Residential, sports, play, holidays). Now she does 3 hours a week of each.

Thus DD1 got a nice gentle start in set 3, for Maths and then set2 and DD1 has been thrown into the top set going at 90 miles an hour.

And my guess is both will get A's for GCSE maths, with DD1 understanding it and DD2 doing it from memory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now