Talk

Advanced search

out twith friends

(9 Posts)
camacha Mon 29-Oct-12 15:36:13

my 12year daughter wants to go out with her friends and i think she is to young any suggestions

WofflingOn Mon 29-Oct-12 15:41:24

It depends on your daughter, her friends and what they want to go and do.
Let her go out to a specific place you approve of, for a specific amount of time, and remind her to keep her phone on.
Then she comes back on time, having kept your rules, and she gets to go again.
If she doesn't, or takes liberties without checking with you first, the restrictions cut in.
What are you specifically worried about?

3nationsfamily Mon 29-Oct-12 15:48:43

It depends on where/ when/ who etc. If you know who the others are, where they are going and how they are getting there and back , if it is a reasonable time and not on a school night etc then I don't see why not. This is the age they start to want some independence and it is up to you to set the boundaries and terms within which you will allow it. Gradually building up from this over the teenage years should build trust between you that she can grow up and take responsibility and you can start to let go the tight reign and let her start to have her own life.

GreenShadow Mon 29-Oct-12 15:54:10

As others have said, it depends where, but by 12 she should be able to go off with friends round town, or to the park/sports centre/cinema whatever.

Does she travel to school by her self?

Themumsnot Mon 29-Oct-12 17:13:30

My 12 year old DD will in to town with her friends to go shopping or to the cinema or a cafe. Or they will go swimming. I'm happy for her to do this in the daytime as long as she tells me where she is going and who with. She doesn't go out in the evening with friends, I've only just started letting DD1 (15) do this again to the cinema/theatre with specified friends.

Clary Wed 31-Oct-12 12:33:10

My dd is 11 and over the last few months has been going to town with a friend.

They tend to go round the shops - either I am in town too (and sometimes see them! the embarrassment!! (for them)) or I drop them and go home, they call me when they want picking up.

DS1 is 13 and goes into town with a mate on the bus - swimming, cinema maybe or shopping (less likely but maybe a bit of a look in GAME!).

I think it's fine. Independence is good. Important thing is to set parameters - time to be home etc - and make sure they have credit on phone to get hold of you.

They all go to the local park etc if that's what you mean and have done that since year 6 at least.

Dancergirl Wed 31-Oct-12 12:36:07

Of course a 12 year old can go out with her friends! What are you worried about OP?

PropositionJoe Wed 31-Oct-12 12:38:41

I think the op might be twelve?

Themumsnot Wed 31-Oct-12 13:00:53

Think you could be right, PJ. Are you going to show your mum this thread camacha? I would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now