Talk

Advanced search

Which is better, Nonsuch or Henrietta Barnett?

(8 Posts)
99mums Thu 25-Oct-12 13:06:09

My DD was lucky enough to get into the top group in both 11+ exams of Henrietta Barnnett and Nonsuch. DD loves both schools, and DH and I have not much information except different league tables and from a few encounters with both schools. HBS seemed better in academic but staff from nonsuch were friendlier and more helpful to us. Both schools are commutable but we will consider moving house anyway. That will be another story.

My questions is - Which school will you choose? Why? What was your experience with the two schools?

I'm a bit stuck so any helps/advices/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Poledra Thu 25-Oct-12 13:07:42

There's only one way to find out - FIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!

Sorry, OP, I know nothing about these schools and watch too much Harry Hill blush

Whatasecret Thu 25-Oct-12 13:40:58

Whichever one is closer to you, they are miles apart. Where do you live or will you be moving closer to whichever school she goes to?

Whatasecret Thu 25-Oct-12 13:42:24

Sorry, I just saw that you will move. I can't answer then as I don't know enough about either school to comment,

gazzalw Thu 25-Oct-12 13:55:14

Did you not get a feeling that one school would suit your daughter more than the other?

I really think if you have a very bright daughter her academic outcomes will vary very little whichever of the two she goes to

summerintherosegarden Fri 26-Oct-12 10:22:49

My experience of HB is from about 15 years ago, but it was very snobby in those days - not sure about now. If you're planning to move, where would you rather live? Hampstead Garden Suburb being quite different to Cheam!

breadandbutterfly Fri 26-Oct-12 15:51:13

I was at HBS and not at all snobby then! Girls seem more arrogant now though - blame the league tables...

Don't know Nonsuch but a very different area so that should be a factor in your decision.

Re HBS - pros - good academic results esp in sciences, maths. But - v few students do arts/humanities these days, maybe as 65% from homes that don't have English as a first language? so if your dd likes arts/humanities it might not be the best choice. Also, it has v small grounds - sports facilities are poor and limited - sporty dds might fare better elsewhere.

location - pros - in the middle of nowhere (20 min = walk from a tube) and no boys school nearby, so pupils are quite isolated, reduces pressure on appearance, distractions etc. Cons - in the middle of nowhere - so girls slightly naive, bit socially unconfident. And a pain to get to! (Depends on your perspective).

Lovely building these days, since they cleaned it up.

breadandbutterfly Fri 26-Oct-12 15:52:32

20 min + walk from tube, sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now