Talk

Advanced search

Brook Weston School

(7 Posts)
Singsooon Thu 25-Oct-12 11:17:23

Anyone with experience of this school that might be able to give me any opinion? I am new to the area so am lacking much historical knowledge.
Are they an "exam factory" as I have been told locally? Or do children get a rounded education?
All views appreciated!

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 25-Oct-12 12:15:33

I live in the area but my DCs are at a different school.

Brooke Weston is a very good school with a history of achieving excellent results. The pupils have a fairly long day (8:30ish until 4:00ish) without any "playground" time but get a breakfast slot and a 30 minute lunch break.

They have competitive sports teams and have a theatre/drama studio for performing arts.

My DDs have both had friends that attended Brooke. They have flourished there and are lovely, mature and have worked hard for good results.

The admissions system that they use does mean that it is a bit of a lottery applying there, but it is the same for every applicant. the only "advantage" would be to have a sibling already at the school. The Brooke Weston Partnership does have an interest in a number of other schools in the area. What other schools are you looking at?

Singsooon Thu 25-Oct-12 12:39:37

In the catchment for Kingswood, but also looked at Montsaye which we preferred. Dd is a bit above average academically, but not a genius, quite sporty, shy but sociable.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 25-Oct-12 12:44:36

Have you looked at Southfield's (All girls school in Kettering)? Would a faith school appeal - Bishop Stopford also in Kettering has great results academically but also has a fantastic sports/performing arts/music reputation.

Montsaye is a brilliant choice for someone with an interest in sports.

Bloody nightmare isn't it? smile

Tuttutitlookslikerain Thu 25-Oct-12 12:48:35

We are going to look at Brooke Weston as one of the choices for DS2 for A levels. I have read about it on the Internet. I am in 2 minds about it, especially as he would have a long journey to get there, but it does look a good school.

Singsooon Thu 25-Oct-12 19:15:22

Thanks Woolly, some very helpful comments. for us it is a "no" to both single sex and faith schools, hence our current list. But we are running up against the deadline, thanks to a late move, so need to make a choice very soon!

NamingOfParts Sun 28-Oct-12 18:09:29

How about Kettering Science Academy? it is also part of the Brooke Weston partnership.

It is a completely new build (replacing the old and unlamented Henry Gotch). Here's a link:

www.ketteringscienceacademy.org

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now