Talk

Advanced search

Recommended Rucksack for carrying books?

(14 Posts)
Katryn Thu 25-Oct-12 09:39:24

DS in Year 7 has small frame and is loaded down carrying books. Can anyone recommend a good make rucksack? He's always complaining that his back and shoulders are hurting. Will refuse to use those shopping bag on wheels.

mummytime Thu 25-Oct-12 12:03:28

Can he carry less books? Can he use a locker?

Having bought expensive Rucksacks that broke I tend to suggest the cheap Tesco ones. But you could go to Blacks or somewhere and get advise on choosing a good style.

I would go for: thick straps, a waist strap - although he probably won't want to use it much. making sure as much as possible is of one piece rather than lots of sewn seams (thats where they break). Also make sure the straps are adjusted properly, it should fit snuggly to the body, if it is hanging off at a slope then it is less comfortable and more damage is done to the back.

bizzey Thu 25-Oct-12 13:20:37

My ds yr7 finally decided he liked an Adidas one I got him in argos £12/15 ?

It has good thick padded straps and the insides mean that he can "organise" his stuff.
At the begining he was adament he wanted a messenger bag which I got him (with rucksack as back up!!)...day 2 he said could he try the rucksack out !!!

My ds has no lockers and so fer not complained of pain.....but it does tend to come off his shoulders with a sigh of relief before the front door is closed !!!

Mutteroo Thu 25-Oct-12 17:34:58

Mine has used an Eastpak rucksack for years. We brought it when he was in year 8 and he used it all that year for school and socially; however, in year 9 he swapped to the over the shoulder kind of bag that's so fashionable with the young uns. He's now at sixth form and is using his old Eastpak bag daily. It still looks as good as new!

Will add whatever make of bag you get, look at the shoulder straps and pick ones DS feels comfy with.

Dinglebert Thu 25-Oct-12 17:40:09

DS has been trying rucksacks in shops, filled with heavy things. Once he tried the Blacks one on, he asked if there was anything in it. We had loaded it with heavy items, but he couldn't feel the weight at all, so we got that one.

I think it's a matter of trying different ones out.

PhyllisDoris Thu 25-Oct-12 17:40:39

You didn't seriously suggest to a year 7 boy that he takes a shopping bag on wheels to school???!!!!
Do you want him to be the but of ALL the jokes? grin

bigTillyMint Thu 25-Oct-12 18:22:49

Phyllis, some of the boys at a local renowned boys private school use themgrin

bigTillyMint Thu 25-Oct-12 18:24:21

DS has just requested a Duffer backpack - having used a messenger bag he already had for the first half-term as he can fit his books and kit in it and ride to school more easily with it on his back smile

PhyllisDoris Thu 25-Oct-12 18:34:21

I don't believe you bigtilly! It would NOT go down well in a big standard state comp!
Even I wouldn't use a shopping bag on wheels before the age of 70 at least!

bigTillyMint Thu 25-Oct-12 18:41:00

Phyllis, I swear tis true - I have seen them with my own eyes. And no it would be social death at the DC's comp which is literally round the corner!

mummytime Thu 25-Oct-12 19:06:12

I've seen boys at local private school use them, mainly for sport kit. I've also seen little girls at a closish private school use suitcases on wheel.

basin Thu 25-Oct-12 21:09:28

grin I had a boyfriend in junior school who took his trombone in on a trolley and had quite a hard time, poor thing.

I bought a great rucksack from TKMaxx (Monster label?) which is designed to take a laptop and it's the best one I've ever had. It's got thick straps and a reinforced back and pocket and although it feels heavier when empty than a normal one, I can carry really heavy (wine) things and not feel the weight. I'm putting it aside for Ds when he gets to secondary. Despite the label, maybe look for a laptop rucksack.

Katryn Mon 29-Oct-12 11:12:21

Thanks for all the advice, no i certainly did not suggest he takes a trolley old granny bag thing, I just said that, incase someone else was going to suggest it, He said there's a couple in his year who do have though!

Dancergirl Wed 31-Oct-12 14:12:34

My dd has an Active Backcare backpack which she wears properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now