Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School?

(13 Posts)
NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 23-Oct-12 21:54:24

Yay or nay?

Does any women work there?

mumwithtwokids Tue 23-Oct-12 22:26:53

I went to school there so it's a yay from me! smile

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 23-Oct-12 22:27:34

What are the sports facilities like? Class rooms?

We missed open day....

swanthingafteranother Tue 23-Oct-12 23:39:59

Spors fields elsewhere (bus journey)
lovely calm atmosphere, child focused
small
very very strict (although parents say v.pastoral) on homework/lost books/behaviour
loads of homework
excellent music, but seems to divide into music bods and sporty bods, due to sheer excellence of music you tend to get totally immersed

V. Religious. Prayers before lessons.
Girls in sixth form.
Academic Academic Academic, though a comp...intake..
You need to be baptised before six months if you want to be sure of a place, and also Holy Days of Obligation. If you don't know what they are...don't apply wink
My ds1 didn't get in grin

swanthingafteranother Tue 23-Oct-12 23:40:25

And a lovely new headmaster, very recent.

BooksandBrunch Wed 24-Oct-12 02:00:42

TOPS, TOPS, TOPS IN EVERY ASPECT. They've resolved the homework situation now, so no longer a mountain to climb and the strictness is really there just to keep the more naughty kids on track. A parent too needs to be a baptised cathoilc - not just your ds btw and yes, plenty of female teachers.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 24-Oct-12 14:41:39

Dh will be that one catholic parent, then.....

swanthingafteranother Wed 24-Oct-12 21:49:26

You only have two days to provide them with your husband's baptismal certificate or your Catholic marriage cert (which will prove he was baptised) and get the priest's ref!

Hope you have Gunnersbury on your list, it is great! (although that needs a SIF too)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:20:33

I have a pile of 4 envelopes that will be posted tomorrow, and yes Gunnersbury is on the list, along with the new one in Richmond, the St Richard Reynolds.

To be honest, ds is most keen on Gunnersbury, so it is good to see somebody vouching for it!

universalis Thu 25-Oct-12 07:09:01

My son is in year 7 at Cardinal Vaughan and absolutely loves it, we couldn't be happier with the school

swanthingafteranother Thu 25-Oct-12 09:20:06

Quint you need to handdeliver to be sure they will get the application by Friday!!! Do not entrust your G application to post. After Friday, it is half term and that is the cut-off point. So anything that arrives after half term is considered a late application.
We were told to hand deliver everyone of our applications (that is five or six Catholic schools) to be sure of receipt, and to check the application had everything required. As I speak I am heading off to St Mark's which is 3rd choice, to drop off application hmm and yesterday I went all the way to Cardinal Wiseman which dd's fifth choice to drop off application....such is life.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:02:56

I sent them recorded next day delivery ....

Cost me a packet! shock!

The thing is, I have been ill for over 2 weeks running (first noro and then flu) so I have not managed to scrape my head out of mumsnet and body out of bed to deal with it before.

But they are all sent now.

swanthingafteranother Thu 25-Oct-12 14:52:29

well done! I've dropped the last ones off today. St Mark's is a lovely school wink but a bit far from here, that tube journey is quite telling when you make it yourself, just to hand in a form...
I'm sorry you have been ill, it is all an administrative nightmare. Several people submitted their lists to Pan London online thingy weeks ago, and have been changing them stealthily ever since, but at least there isn't that last minute feeling of panic. Our priest's references appts were only made on 17th so in a way that isn't much time to gather everything together.
But I feel I can now relax for half term from 31st, when I can't change the order ever again. Still have to hand in one more thing to Council itself though hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now