Talk

Advanced search

Physics help

(12 Posts)
sadie3 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:20:39

Does anyone know where I can find GCSE practice test (with answers) on light and sound waves?

BellaVita Tue 23-Oct-12 18:24:11

does this help at all?

sadie3 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:26:53

Thank you, youre so kind.

I found this if anyone elses DC needs it.

http://chemactive.com/worksheets/gcse/physics/waves_questions.pdf

VintageRainBoots Tue 23-Oct-12 18:29:52

I have a physics degree if you get stuck on a particular problem. Just send me a message and I'll try to help.

BellaVita Tue 23-Oct-12 18:31:39

Amazon do practice papers not sure if they cover light and sound?

sadie3 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:34:14

Thank you so much, you are both lovely.

Knowsabitabouteducation Thu 25-Oct-12 09:38:44

Which exam board is your DC using?

One problem you will face with getting practice papers is that there just aren't many available. This is only the second year of the Year 10 course, so only 3 past papers are available. The are still password protected.

sadie3 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:54:16

Its AQA. There is loads of material out there on various websites but no answers, which is frustrating.

Knowsabitabouteducation Thu 25-Oct-12 09:56:29

There will be lots of info out there, but not much specific to his course.

sadie3 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:03:02

Yes, its frustrating for the children and us parents. This is the price of the governments hair trigger reaction to GCSEs unfortunately.

clairecasta Thu 25-Oct-12 21:32:50

As a secondary physics teacher I was surprised to hear that you had difficulties finding past papers (or at least some sample papers) with markschemes.

I always recommend going to the website of the relevant exam board and looking carefully in their resources section.

I had a quick look at the AQA website and found this link which has the specimen papers and markschemes.

www.sciencelab.org.uk/support/question-papers-mark-schemes.php

Since your child is taking the new 2011 science exams there are very few past papers available for the P1 module and even less (perhaps none) available for the P2 and P3 modules. These past papers are so recent that they will not generally be available from the exam boards except to teachers at schools to use as mock papers for the students.

Looking more closely at the AQA website, it appears that you can actually purchase past papers and markschemes from them before you can download them for free. You can see what is available for free and for purchase and when they are available at this link:

web.aqa.org.uk/pub_policies/whats_available.php

To purchase past papers use this link:

shop.aqa.org.uk/

Personally I think this is very cheeky of AQA. The exam board my school uses has several free past papers available to everyone already and does not require payment for early viewing.

Good luck, and I hope this was more helpful than confusing!

sadie3 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:10:29

Thank you Clairecasta, I did see the AQA site but I only wanted practice tests on light and sound. I found quite a few in the end but none of them have answers.

Thank you for the link I will save it for future reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now