Talk

Advanced search

considring taking english language and english literature at A level

(5 Posts)
mumslife Sun 21-Oct-12 19:20:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tigerstripes Sun 21-Oct-12 20:50:44

Do you mean the combined Lang/lit course? The language part is very much focused on linguistics so ask her if she enjoyed the spoken language part of her GCSE. If not, then she won't like the A-level.

LettyAshton Mon 22-Oct-12 10:11:25

I know that the English Language A Level is not, ahem, approved by some of the better universities, but does combined Lang & Lit pass muster?

slipshodsibyl Mon 22-Oct-12 18:01:55

Combined is OK, but I wouldn't recommend it if your daughter wants to read for an English degree at university. If school offers that course only, then she probably won't be penalised.

donnie Mon 22-Oct-12 18:58:01

I teach the AQA Eng Lang syllabus and have done for a couple of years now, having taught A level lit for aeons. Quite a bit of the lang syllabus is very technical/linguistics based and there is a pretty considerable media-esque component. Some aspects of it, such as the language and gender/power/technology paper are fascinating in my view, and have the potential to stretch the very best candidates. The EDEXCEL A level lang paper is similar.Generally speaking students tend to underestimate how challenging it can be IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now