Advanced search

Does anyone know of any good secondry schools for profound dyslexia, & other issues

(6 Posts)
kathy79 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:09:41


My son is in the dudley area and is 11 years old due to go to secondry school sept 2013. However he is in the throws of attempting to get a statement of special educational needs as he is profoundly dyslexic with a high verbal I.Q, mild dyspraxia, irlen syndrome, hypermobile fingers and sensory issues. The LEA at present are insisting mainstream is the best place for him even though i have had mainstream schools tell me they are unlikely to be able to manage his needs and i might have to look at special schools.But getting the opposite from the LEA
As you are probably aware its complicated and long winded process and a fight is enevitable on my part.

Does anyone have any good advice, experience of Dudley LEA and statementing or know of any good special schools or independent specialist schools.

Any advice welcomed

many thanks

pinkorkid Sat 20-Oct-12 16:31:13

kathy, It might be a good idea to also post on the special needs children board as there will be more people with dyslexic children there and with experience of schools which are appropriate for your ds needs and also with the statementing process in general.

Also worth looking at the crested website as they have a list of accredited dyslexia schools.

mumslife Sat 20-Oct-12 20:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RiversideMum Sun 21-Oct-12 18:17:45

Shoot me down if you like, but I think the LA will say that mainstream is best because it is cheaper for them. I guess you know this, but when you get the statement, you can nominate which school you want your child to go to. This includes specialist private schools. But you have to be able to prove that they provide facilities that are not available in mainstream school and that the fees are therefore a good use of the LA's money. There is case history of parents taking LAs to court (and winning) because they have insisted that mainstream is the best place for a child to be.

Blu Mon 22-Oct-12 10:14:21

You need tp attract peope with knowledge of schools and of delaing with the LEA and statementing in your area - put Dudley and surrounds, as well as dyslexia, in your thread title!

Good luck.

lesleyatcrested Fri 26-Oct-12 13:16:56

You could try looking at the CReSTeD register of schools, we have a website which lists all the schools who have applied and been approved for their dyslexia provision. I have to admit though, the majority of the schools are independent schools. I promise I try very hard to convince Local Authority schools to apply but for some reason they don't seem to want to. You could also try contacting the British Dyslexia Association who might be able to point you towards a "Dyslexia Friendly" School and/or Dyslexia Action who may have a teacher placed within either a school or a centre in your area.

CReSTeD - the Council for the Registration of Schools Teaching Dyslexic pupils is a registered charity no.1052103

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: