Talk

Advanced search

another playing the choosing A levels game - Can anyone advise please

(41 Posts)
mumslife Fri 19-Oct-12 20:50:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImaginateMum Fri 19-Oct-12 20:54:57

Haven't seen other thread.

Have you seen the Russell Group guide to A level choices?

www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

TheBuskersDog Fri 19-Oct-12 21:04:10

It probably depends if she will go on to take all four at A level or if she will drop one after AS, Russell Group would not be interested in Textiles.

Yellowtip Fri 19-Oct-12 21:35:01

mumslife your head doesn't need to burst - not quite sure why you pit creativity against academic, there's no divide. One of my DDs is hugely artistic, currently at Oxford and predicted a First (may well not get it, but that's not a big deal). She dropped French at AS, carrying on only History, English and French to A2. She also got offers (all first time round, pre A-Level) from Durham, Bristol, St Andrews and Manchester which are all RG/ equivalent. Your DD should really do what she's talented at and showcase that talent in her achievements through Sixth Form and in her PS. Forget everything else.

creamteas Fri 19-Oct-12 21:35:33

As long as you have 2 traditional a levels (English/history) the other one or two can be anything for the vast majority of courses including Russell Group.

Yellowtip Fri 19-Oct-12 21:36:43

Sorry, typed that up wrong: she took History, English and Art&Design to A2.

RedGreenWhiteViolet Fri 19-Oct-12 21:45:30

History and English Lit are well-regarded A-Levels. Dsd is applying to all Russell Group Universities and does both of those. I would say, and obviously I'm no expert, that as long as she dropped one of her less academic subjects and kept both History and English for A2, she wouldn't be disadvantaged. With one traditional subject and two 'less demanding' subjects for A-Level, she might be.

mumslife Fri 19-Oct-12 21:46:04

mumslife Fri 19-Oct-12 21:47:18

mumslife Fri 19-Oct-12 21:50:15

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 09:33:49

Lovely choice of A levels, she'll get so much from them (never mind the stress, they cope). Just check if she has her heart set already on a particular university/college that she'll be OK. Tho' I would say go with the A levels - - and choose the university/college/course later! Only posting as Art wasn't accepted for DC for the courses/college she looked at for Cambridge and Bristol at that time. Mind you, her attitude was that if they didn't think Art was a respectable A level then they weren't much of a university/college (oxbridge colleges can differ between them in requirements). Good on her. If in doubt, email admissions - tho' they're likely to say [unless it's science, don't get me started] that they look at the overall application - as they did for DC2 now I think about it. I raised rebels.

Yellowtip Sat 20-Oct-12 09:55:08

What course was that Sympathique?

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 20-Oct-12 10:50:46

If the Textiles is Art Textiles, many university will consider Art and Art Textiles as one subject.

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 11:34:06

Mod Lang - some years back. She had a fourth "academic" A level she kept on so Art wasn't an issue in the end but university/college attitudes affected her attitude to where she applied. Good on her!

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 11:35:52

Knowsabit Do they consider Maths and Further Maths as one subject? Still, one can vote with one's feet.

webwiz Sat 20-Oct-12 13:00:55

Maths and Further Maths are never considered as one subject.

webwiz Sat 20-Oct-12 13:04:40

sorry lost the rest of my post! But some courses such as Medicine prefer a wider spread of subjects rather than mostly maths.

mummytime Sat 20-Oct-12 13:23:59

Maths and Further Maths are two subjects, but often take less than 2 timetable slots; because if you are good enough to do Further Maths you are expected to be able to do Pure Maths faster. However there is a danger (which my DCs State school has avoided by how it teaches the subjects, but a local private has) that if you sit A'level Maths in lower sixth some Universities exclude it from their offer, and just offer you on your Further Maths.

So my son will sit most of Pure Maths, but not all in Lower Sixth, and say could be offered 2A* and and A next year, and the A* needs to be in Pure Maths. However someone at the private school might have already got A* Pure Maths, but will get an offer of 2 A* and an A, but these exclude the Pure Maths grade already obtained, so would need to get A or A* in Further Maths as well.

mumslife Sat 20-Oct-12 13:59:21

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 14:18:34

Webwiz/mummytime, my point was that if universities considered Art and Textiles as a single A level, what is the logic for considering Maths and Further Maths as two? Twas meant to be rhetorical to an extent. Mind you at least one university (at least used to) cheats by asking students doing Maths and Further Maths to get the A (pre A* days) in Further Maths rather than Maths, which I understand you can't get without an A in Maths as well, and that pushed a three-A grade offer to a 4-A grade one - tho' I could be out of date

webwiz Sat 20-Oct-12 14:20:27

I think English, History and Art as full A levels will give her lots of choice of courses. DD2's friend had this combination and is doing History at a good university. I think the problem is that Textiles and Art are very close as subjects and she could give herself a greater choice (and not shut any doors either) if she didn't do both.

DS is in year 11 as well and he did email some admissions tutors about his possible choices as he wants to take film studies as his fourth AS and of course his does have the dread "studies" in the title. He got some helpful definitive answers so it was certainly worth doing to put his mind (and mine!) at rest.

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 14:21:06

mummytime: sorry, you've dealt with the A/A* Further Maths thing, I should read properly!

webwiz Sat 20-Oct-12 14:32:45

I've never heard of Art/Textiles been considered as one subject before so don't know the logic behind that Sympathique perhaps because they are both testing the same skills? Just guessing smile

Sympathique Sat 20-Oct-12 15:04:04

Knowsabit might be able to tell us more: "If the Textiles is Art Textiles, many university will consider Art and Art Textiles as one subject". The two courses as DC's school were nothing alike, but there we are. Universities make the rules and DCs tick the boxes or rebel

mumslife Sat 20-Oct-12 20:03:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now