Talk

Advanced search

Finding out about selective school outcomes

(4 Posts)
babartheelephant Thu 18-Oct-12 21:01:27

I wonder whether anyone can shed any light on the new way selective schools are obliged to tell those of us (who have put our children through this) whether they have been successful or not. We sat for about 3 academic selectives and also about 3 musical aptitude selectives. So far, we have received answers which range from 1) you didn't make the grade therefore you cannot apply under this criteria 2) you got a good enough mark which would have been equivalent to a place in 2012 but we can't say whether that would mean a place in 2013 but you may apply 3) you were in the top 24 for music so you get a place, (hooray), but only if you put it as your first choice on the common entrance form.
After all the stress of the last 3 months I find it odd that they can then tell you you have to put it as 1st choice. Are they allowed to do that? I rang the council who said the school shouldn't know whether you put them as 1st or 6th. But they also said sometimes schools can find this out.
I am delighted that he got a music place but at same time not sure we would put it ahead of a couple of the others that are more academic and we are still waiting to hear from.
Any other people out there in similar dilemma?
Also really can't work out whether it is better to be near home, walking distance, or travelling further to a more academic school.....

tropicalfish Thu 18-Oct-12 23:26:34

my dd goes to an academic selective. I was surprised as I didnt realise that it was so musical but that has been extremely beneficial ultimately. My point is, sometimes you dont find out everything, and some schools have certain reputations, which you can base your choice on.
I think being near a school is a good idea as it is good for them to have friends in the local area and be able to travel home easily after doing extra stuff at school

tiggytape Fri 19-Oct-12 07:37:47

They are obliged to tell you the outcome - that is all. So as a bare minimum they can say pass / fail and at some schools this means very little because hundreds pass for only 100 - 200 places. They are not obliged to tell you if you are in that top 100 - 200 so it can be guesswork as to whether you are number 50 with a definite place or number 521 with no real chance whatsoever.

The school that told you to put them first is correct in one sense: If you want them above all others, putting them first = guaranteed place BUT if you put the academically selective one first and fail to get in, and put the music one 2nd, your place at the music school is still guaranteed.

The only way you can lose your place at the music school is if you put it 2nd or 3rd or 4th on your form and one of your higher ranked schools then offers you a place instead. What they mean is that nobody gets 2 offers so if you don’t put the music school first, and the one you put first instead makes you an offer, you automatically lose the offer from the music school in favour of your higher ranked choice.

They are a bit sneaky to not explain the equal preference thing fully and to imply otherwise though. Rest assured equal preference is a legal requirement. Even if you put the music school last then failed to get offers for every other school above it on the list, your place at the music school would still be guaranteed.

senua Fri 19-Oct-12 08:27:56

the school shouldn't know whether you put them as 1st or 6th. But they also said sometimes schools can find this out.

It doesn't matter if they do find out. There are very specific rules regarding entrance: schools HAVE to follow their own rules, they are not allowed to throw their toys out of the pram in a fit of pique. The key is to make sure that you know the rules - I think tiggy explained it well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now