Talk

Advanced search

Does your school have odd rules about coats?

(26 Posts)
Vagaceratops Thu 18-Oct-12 15:00:01

Or is it just ours?

It has to be dark blue (not navy) or black. no hood, no logo, no 'puffa' material, no fake fur, no reflective stripes.

They dont even offer a coat in the school shop which fits all those things. Maybe its because it doesnt exist!

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Thu 18-Oct-12 15:00:46

why no reflective stripes?
surely they want kids to be seen in the dark

EdithWeston Thu 18-Oct-12 15:02:56

How on earth is navy not dark blue confused.

Ours specifies anything black and asks for it to be plain, but turns a blind eye especially in year 7 to other dark coloured coats (they know parents don't want to buy another if there's a perfectly good navy one not yet outgrown from primary).

Vagaceratops Thu 18-Oct-12 16:09:03

I said exactly the same thing Edith.

Its a real pain. Lots of the children just dont wear a coat, but on the winter days that are coming a lot of them are going to be very cold.

bizzey Thu 18-Oct-12 16:53:53

I boudht DS1 yr7 the proper school coat at the special uniform day. Very smart coat......

The other day it was absolutly pouring down so he agreed to wear this very naice smart coat .

He put it on for the first time and I undid the velcro at the back of the padded coller to to rummage around to unravel the hood........no...nothing....ziltch hood !!!! confused
What is the point in havig a a winter coat with no hood ?????????????

I am either going to have to try and get some poncho style waterproof thing (which would be good as his books got wet as well...but they now go into plastic bags inside the rucccksack) or stock up on cheap umbrellas as they will get lost/forgotten!!!!!

What do boys do in the rain .....thats cool and acceptable....apart from getting wet grin....btw it wasn't cold enough for a hat ifykwim.

whistlestopcafe Thu 18-Oct-12 16:59:21

Is it a private school?

bizzey Thu 18-Oct-12 17:16:13

whistlestop...was that for me or OP ?? No mine is not private...but they do require waterproof heads !!!

bossboggle Thu 18-Oct-12 17:48:36

I would very smartly tell the school that if they wanted such a coat then THEY can provide one!! Otherwise I would be the sensible mum and get a sensible school coat - with reflectors on or reflective stripes!! My son was knocked down by a car - trust me - go with as much reflection as will allow - been there not good, not good at all - fortunately my son came away with 'just' a broken bone!! To hell with what the school wants especially in the middle of winter!!

Vagaceratops Thu 18-Oct-12 19:13:43

No, its an academy.

picturesinthefirelight Thu 18-Oct-12 19:24:03

Blazer to be worn at all times. School coat (waterproof fleece for years 7-9 showerproof padded jacket for yr 10/11) can be worn over the top.

Knowsabitabouteducation Thu 18-Oct-12 21:07:15

Both my DDs' schools have specific uniform coats.

3littlefrogs Thu 18-Oct-12 21:16:29

Plain black, non waterproof coat, without hood. Despite the fact that said coat renders the wearer completely invisible on dark evenings, AND the fact that one child has already been run over outside the school. angry

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Oct-12 21:17:11

Specific uniform coats are the way to go. Let the school decide what is dark blue, but not navy!

DCs head teacher has declared no bows on hair bobbles/bands even if they are in the school colours. Therefor I am taking great pleasure in sending my DC to school in ski jackets when I would normally force them into a navy or grey duffle coat.

admission Thu 18-Oct-12 22:56:35

There is this little problem called being cool and wearing coats is definitely not cool!

Lancelottie Fri 19-Oct-12 08:34:02

Apparently ours specifies black. You'd never guess.

Anyhow, the only 'coat' DS wears is his dayglo yellow cycling jacket (plus orange dayglo helmet --- gosh he looks lovely...).

coppertop Fri 19-Oct-12 09:42:30

I think ours just asks for coats to be dark and with no logo on them. I don't think it's ever been enforced though.

imperialstateknickers Fri 19-Oct-12 09:47:10

Ours doesn't mention anything about coats at all. Probably because there's nowhere to hang them or put them when they get there. There are twelve hundred pupils, and 150 lockers, reserved for y7 and SENs, and NO HOOKS ANYWHERE AT ALL!
<fumes>

Edofthe13prams Fri 19-Oct-12 09:55:01

Your school sounds nuts.

I'd send them in any old coat - see what happens.

Luckily ours doesn't specify anything about coats. It's primary though.

Madmog Fri 19-Oct-12 11:29:37

All they ask if that coats are placed in their lockers and not carried around. Not many wear coats anyway, but I wanted to get my daughter one, especially as one of her friends turned up on our doorstep one morning soaked through to her skin (liberally). My daughter said she would wear it if it was black so that's what she has. I'd be tempted to write a letter, tell them you can't find one of this description so you propose to send your child with ... . If they aren't happy with this choice, can they please tell you where to buy one and you will provide it.

Blu Fri 19-Oct-12 14:53:24

Ours (local comp) specifies black, dark grey or dark blue / navy, and no logo whatsoever. It has to be a 'plain traditional coat style'. It is hard to find such a coat - we got one in Next. It would be good if the school would research some coats which meet compliance and link to them!

If they are seen out and about in local shops, buses or the high rd in their uniform and it is not properley worn - ties done up, top button done up etc, or a non-approved coat they get a detention.

Bags must also be black, plain and no logos.

Shoes black, shoe style, no logo. Endless arguing with DS about whether the coloured stitching on black Kickers is allowed. Anyway we're not risking it, not at that price!

LittenTree Fri 19-Oct-12 14:58:19

Ours just says 'dark, no extravagant logos, no 'hoodies''

No prob!

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 19-Oct-12 15:00:30

what do boys do in the rain

Get wet, if they are anything like mine. Who refuses to wear a coat.

Blu Fri 19-Oct-12 15:08:26

The boys do wear coats in our area. They like to be bundled up in coats done right up to the neck, woolly hats, gloves, the works.
Girls walk about in a shirt and blazer in all weathers.

PandaG Fri 19-Oct-12 15:12:52

no rules about coats at all, except they must not be worn inside. Most DC either walk to school in just the sweatshirt, or wear a hoody overthe top. Currently my DS (Y8) is happy to wear a waterproof when it rains, as he thinks getting wet for the sake of being cool is ridiculous...wonder how long that will last?

helpyourself Fri 19-Oct-12 15:24:30

No reflective stripes? shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now