Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh Steiner

(14 Posts)
zsazsaapplenod Wed 17-Oct-12 15:18:03

Does anyone have any experiences of the above school? Would be interested in hearing both good and bad.

Thanks.

deste Wed 17-Oct-12 22:14:15

Don't think you will get much help on that one here.

zsazsaapplenod Thu 01-Nov-12 12:37:48

I am not surprised that I won't get much help given what me and my DD have just went through. Will post more about it later. Very unhappy sad

zsazsaapplenod Fri 02-Nov-12 08:20:51

7 weeks at a Steiner school was 7 weeks too long and the damage inflicted in those 7 weeks is immense.

I would say to anyone, stay away from the Steiner education. My DD was bullied by her own teacher. Her own teacher lied and manipulated situations. I have never in my life witnessed something as horrid as what I have witnessed at Steiners.

My DD is devastated. I am devastated. My family are devastated. I have been "told" I cannot say too much as threads will be deleted - why? Why are we not allowed to speak freely about Steiners?

mummytime Fri 02-Nov-12 08:27:16

Sorry OP but this thread will probably be pulled, the Steiner lot are quick with the lawyers.
What are you doing now to educate your DD? And help her recover?
At least it was only 7 weeks.

zsazsaapplenod Sat 03-Nov-12 11:08:33

Yes, thank god she was only there 7 weeks but as I said the damage from the 7 weeks is immense sad

I am looking at State school now, have no alternative. As for recovering, I have no idea. She still wants to go back to "her" school and cannot understand why her teacher treated her in the way she did.

I have been given more ammunition in the form of an email from another parent who stated she did not make a formal complaint about my DD except the teacher stated quite clearly, in front of Management, that there was a formal complaint submitted.

I cannot believe what has actually went on in this school! It is awful!

mummytime Sat 03-Nov-12 11:36:57

Well if possible I would give her some time out and HE for a bit, with lots of fun. Meet up with real friends, and get involved in lots of fun extra-curricula things.

zsazsaapplenod Sat 03-Nov-12 13:24:51

Thanks, I think you are right. She defo needs a lot of TLC just now.

kaumana Sat 03-Nov-12 20:27:39

Sorry that your daughter has had such an awful experience but can't say I'm surprised. I agree with mummytimes comments re building her confidence back up.

zsazsaapplenod Sat 03-Nov-12 20:41:01

Thanks. Totally thought it was school for her but it was so wrong in so many ways. The way the teacher acted was completely inappropriate an unprofessional. I actually worry for some of the other kids there cause if your face does not fit, life is gonna be hell :-(

kaumana Sat 03-Nov-12 23:41:26

Unfortunately, your daughter and yourself have found out, that a Steiner education does not look after the whole child....

zsazsaapplenod Sun 04-Nov-12 21:40:29

I have actually found out a lot more today sad my DD is not the only one but the parents in the class seem afraid to speak up! I am in complete shock. My DD just wants to go back to her school, I guess I can understand that from the friendship factor but I cannot understand how she would ever want to be in the presence of her teacher again.

Anyway, she won't be going back. There is no going back from what we have left!

YourHandInMyHand Mon 05-Nov-12 13:32:18

What happened to her in school OP?

Children often want things that us adults know aren't the best thing for them. Take a bit of time out with her, then look into your other local options and maybe start building friendships in a class out of school too.

She sounds like a sweet sociable girl, I'm sure with your love and encouragement she will bounce back from this school experience.

zsazsaapplenod Tue 06-Nov-12 20:30:29

She was not there even 7 weeks and the teacher had a letter sent which was very vague with very minor points saying she would be put out the school if there was not a "marked improvement".

I had a meeting with management and the teacher, thankfully I took one of my parents along as a witness, the teacher then proceeded to say there had been a complaint of bullying (which I now have written evidence to say that was NEVER the case as the teacher in question named the parents who had supposedly written this letter), said she would not engage with her, said she was behind in her maths (I pointed out Steiners ethos is that they welcome children of any academic ability for what they can bring to school) and then said she could not work with my DD. It was awful. I ended up in tears as I could not believe what I was hearing from this teacher's mouth and I knew it was not true. Management just sat there - it was a nightmare.

I am now in limbo but have started home schooling as she needs an education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now