Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much time do your kids have off school for sickness?

(16 Posts)
Madmog Wed 17-Oct-12 10:29:28

How much time do your kids have off school for sickness?

My daughter is in Year 7 and despite keeping away from her and constantly washing my hands, she's caught an awful cold off me (it's years since I've had one like this). I was determined she wouldn't be off so much with going to secondary school, but she's clearly not well enough to go in (constant running nose, coughing, white as a sheet) - have to admit I feel a little guilty keeping her off for a cold.

The only thing she said she might learn anything vital from is science, so is going to do a bit of research on that.

mrsfuzzy Wed 17-Oct-12 10:42:20

she doesn't sound in any fit state for school poor love, why feel guilty? there are around 200 cold virsus types so you can be sure kids are going to get real stinkers every so often. if she's making the effort to catch up with her school work whats the problem? she is ill its not like taking time off because its her birthday. don't beat yourself up about it, these things happen.

Madmog Wed 17-Oct-12 11:23:26

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm conscious she has two friends who go to school whatever - one has never had a day off! Luckily they are coming to the end of all their projects for this term and project homework is being handed in this week. With regard to maths, they haven't set them yet but she's basically been revising so far as it's what she was doing in Y5, so it really is just the science

mrsfuzzy Wed 17-Oct-12 11:32:48

madmog, the friends you describe possibly have mothers that get involved with every school activity going as well to earn brownie points with the teachers, rest assured if your child is ill, you as a mother know, don't compare yourself with others, trust your instincts and do what you feel to right for your family. i bet those other children don't thank their parents seniding them to school when they are off colour and can't concentrate properly in class, nor the teachers for that matter

pimmsgalore Wed 17-Oct-12 11:36:16

madmog don't worry my yr7 DD has had 3 weeks off and may not be back after half term, her school say she will be able to catch up and are not worried.

coppertop Wed 17-Oct-12 11:38:03

I found that when ds1 started secondary school, he ended up with as many viruses as he'd had when he first started primary school.

The friend who never has a day off is probably one of those lucky souls who rarely gets ill. My younger son is like that, although I've probably just jinxed it now. smile

If your dd is ill then she's far better off staying at home.

imnotmymum Wed 17-Oct-12 11:40:23

I know what you mean about missing High School always feels worse than missing Primary doesn't it. But is she ill will not learn anyway and plenty of in teractive websites on her topics covering. Sit on settee, cosy, lemsip , laptop.

Theas18 Wed 17-Oct-12 17:40:11

Trouble with ill secondary kids is they actually WANT to go even when they aren't well (at least mine do- they hate missing stuff- it is never recapped and can't be learned from other peoples notes so well).

THe worst was when DS was injured in rugby. He had a broken collar bone and couldn't sleep at night for a few days. and he couldn't really be in the " fray" of the corridors either but mentally he was 100% and in year 11.... we compromised on 3 days off....

I'm lucky- they travel by foot and bus. If they can't safely walk 1/2 mile and stand and wait for the bus then they can't go in! If you are feeling really fluey you just can't do that.

Knowsabitabouteducation Wed 17-Oct-12 17:42:57

My kids are very rarely off school. I think my DD1 and DD2, now Year 11 and 9 have never ever had a day off for illness.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 17-Oct-12 17:45:16

YANBU to keep her off and I would too in those circs. You might be a bit U to take her word for it that she won't be missing anything of any value except I'm one lesson, though!

RedGreenWhiteViolet Wed 17-Oct-12 17:46:26

Dd1 had three weeks off in her first half term of AS levels and managed to catch up.

Hope she feels better tomorrow.

pointyfangs Wed 17-Oct-12 18:52:28

My DDs are those lucky kids who very rarely get ill, but I wasn't. I got a proper type B flu in the runup to a set of major exams in my A-level year (in Holland - controlled assessment type stuff). Was very very ill for 10 days.

Fortunately I had geekily done a hell of a lot of revision already so I did well anyway. I'd recommend developing good study habits because they mean that you have a bit of resilience when illness does strike.

Madmog Thu 18-Oct-12 11:07:20

Thanks for your support everyone. She's a better colour today but still sniffing and coughing away as you would expect - luckily they have an INSET day today so I didn't have a dilemma whether to send her in or not.

MordionAgenos Thu 18-Oct-12 14:00:23

My DS missed most of the summer term (Y7). He was off for 10 weeks (including the half term). He had whopping cough. sad

Madmog Thu 18-Oct-12 14:25:29

MordionAgenos, you must have been worried. How is your son now?

MordionAgenos Thu 18-Oct-12 14:35:17

I was extremely worried at the time. Partly because he was so ill, partly because he was missing so much school, partly because I was worried about my other DCs. But we all survived. DS is fine now, he seems to be doing OK at school, there are no indications that he hasn't caught up but we will know more after the parents' evening. Everything he does seems to be ok, but I have no real feel for if he is where he should be except in drama where he is the blue eyed boy of the class, and maths where he is also doing very well and they have a lot of tests and my maths homework (so you know straight away how they have done).

Hope your DD is feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now