Talk

Advanced search

grammar school or good state comp in Croydon area

(7 Posts)
aerobicmum Tue 16-Oct-12 21:44:50

Was wondering there are views on travelling to a grammar school (looks like wallington, newstead and nonsuch will all be possible), over the more local option which we have a good chance of - Coloma - an excellent Catholic school. Dd is very academic, not sporty, plays piano well, not into drama, dance etc, and will do really well in a strong academic environment.

Wallington is within a good distance but although she knows she has passed their test, so have over 700 others, for 210 places, so not guaranteed a place. But should she not get in, both Nonsuch and Newstead are quite far. Should we put the closer non-grammar school second or is the time sent travelling to a school further afield worth it.

Any views, experiences welcome. Thank you

AngelEyes46 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:38:16

As I'm sure mums (and dads) will say, put where your heart says. My dd goes to St Phils but we looked at Coloma, Wally girls and other state schools (which were more local). Top two was Coloma and St Phils (I felt Wallington was too much emphasis on academia and also the classrooms were small). But, everyone gets a different feel. If you go for the grammars, dcs will be coming from all over (as no catchment). Coloma (although measures faith) - distance will play a factor, meaning that there is bound to be children living in the same areas as your dd, therefore friendship groups etc. Although results are important to me, I do put more stress on the faith side and the fact that friends are often made if they live locally.

MordionAgenos Wed 17-Oct-12 07:31:49

I went to Coloma - many years ago. And I went to Cambridge. Academic kids always used to do very well there. My best friends daughters go there now she says it hasn't changed from our day. The music is stellar.

aerobicmum Wed 17-Oct-12 21:37:26

Thanks for your replies.

Personally, as a Catholic family, I don't believe my daughter's faith will be in any way harmed by non Catholic schooling. We will still do all the 'church' things, mass every week etc...
I am an old Coloma girl too, but started in its last year as a grammar and did very well there. Good to hear it is still as good.

Lots to consider...thanks for your viewpoints.

MordionAgenos Thu 18-Oct-12 13:22:00

Ah, it sounds like you are a contemporary (near contemporary anyway - I was in the year below) of myself and Angeleyes46! If it turns out you went to Regina Coeli too then that will just be very spooky! My friend whose daughters are at Coloma (who isn't on here) was in your year.

My older children don't go to catholic schools, as it happens, because there are no catholic secondary schools where I now live sad (they did go to a catholic primary and the youngest still does). This is actually a matter of sadness for me, although both DD1 and DS are at good schools (DD1 is at an excellent school which reminds me in many ways of coloma although the choir is not so good) but- I agree with you that the main input comes from the family. They haven't stopped being catholics because they don't go to catholic school. They still feel very much part of the parish community. Which is nice.

AngelEyes46 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:51:52

Oh mordion - I went to Regina Coeli and Coloma (started Coloma in 1977). I will PM you and Aerobic.

AngelEyes46 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:53:16

I can't work out how to do it - can you pm me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now