Talk

Advanced search

Best state schools in Surrey

(28 Posts)
SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 13:08:35

We are in Woking and probably going to send DS private (he already is), as the schools near us are not great.

However we might as figure we might as well fill in the form.

We are putting down Gordon's, Tiffin Boys, he probably won't get into any of them, and that's fine, so we are really looking for 'outside shots' that are outstanding, on the off chance he gets in, rather than being interested in anywhere less than wonderful, as we'll just go private.

tiggytape Tue 16-Oct-12 13:24:22

Silly question but has he taken the 11+ tests for Tiffins and the grammar schools around Surrey?
Tiffins is just one - there are 3 more boys state grammars but if hasn't sat the tests then there's no point listing them. They all have excellent reputations but of course they only take the very top few % from the year and perhaps aren't the easiest of journeys to get to.

BusyDad66 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:48:51

LOL Good states schools...contradiction in terms!

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 16-Oct-12 13:53:19

You're too far away for Guildford schools, I take it?

titchy Tue 16-Oct-12 14:02:46

hmm at busydad....

Yeah ALL state schools are crap aren't they? Every single one....

bucksfizzed Tue 16-Oct-12 14:14:57

good grief... however have read busydad's other mumsnet offering, musing on the 'polished' boys of Charterhouse, suspect he's either having a lil laugh in his busy day, because the alternative, well frankly ... ' LOL '

SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 14:18:47

tiggytape, Tiffins are allowing people to fill in Tiffin on the standard school application form, and all who did will then be allowed to sit the exam in December.

So basically everyone who missed the previous application deadline is getting another chance.

FamiliesShareGerms, we are entirely open to Guildford, I assume we wouldn't get in, but ultimately might put down George Abbott if we can't think of anything else?

BusyDad66 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:29:41

Ok, it was a joke, couldn't resist, honestly though not sure why if you had the money for private you would risk state school really but everyone has different priorities I guess!

As for polished children...the money we're spending is not inconsiderable, I expect to see real results at the end of the day and part of suceeding in the world is coming across as articulate, well-educated and generally confident. To send my DCs to a school that didn't promote those things would be negligent for their development.

titchy Tue 16-Oct-12 14:30:02

But you wouldn't get into GA from Woking so what would be the point of putting it down? confused

sue52 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:37:23

BusyDad Resist in future.

tiggytape Tue 16-Oct-12 14:37:59

I agree with titchy. It wouldn't even be a longshot - it is 100% certain you would not get in living in Woking.

You might be better off looking for state schools that have no distance criteria or award some places on the basis of random allocation. Or state schools that have a test of some sort - not just the 11+ but others have aptitude, music or banding tests. Or of course schools close to your home that you are borderline catchment for.

SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 14:39:38

Well, if anyone knows any, please share.

SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 14:40:36

BTW, BusyDad you don't have to take any state place if you don't want to.

Filling in the form is free.

titchy Tue 16-Oct-12 14:45:29

Have you looked at secondary school admissions criteria on Surrey council's very helpful and clear website?

tiggytape Tue 16-Oct-12 14:53:47

Kingsdale school is the one I was thinking of. It is Ofsted Outstanding and takes children based on music and sports ability. Its other places are allocated by fair banding so there is no distance allocation as such - it is based on ability banding.

I don't know if you're too late for these types of schools though as they all have tests and supplementary forms to fill out and, with October 31st being the council's deadline, most schools have done the tests already.

basildonbond Tue 16-Oct-12 16:34:28

Kingsdale isn't in Surrey though .. it's in Southwark so would be a hell of a commute from Woking ...

SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 18:01:42

Not keen on Southwark. Caught a glimpse of Hackney's best school the other day. 12-foot high fences, pretty scary.

springrain Tue 16-Oct-12 20:49:33

Would Dorking schools be too far? The Priory has put extra classes on a couple of times in the last few years which means a very good chance of places in those years even if you were further away. Also Ashcombe in Dorking is very well regarded – most years you would not get in from Woking but in 2012 it looks like you would have as they only offered 238 of 240 places initially.

If you are Catholic then St Peters in Guildford also very good with a far better chance of admission than GA.

Knowsabitabouteducation Tue 16-Oct-12 21:27:40

Woking to Dorking, no thanks.

Just how bad are Woking schools?

SkoolsIn Tue 16-Oct-12 21:38:12

We are considering moving anyway, so Dorking isn't actually out of the question.

lme30005 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:41:37

Woking schools aren't the best. One very good Catholic school that's difficult to get into, one awful school that should be closed, and 2 fairly average schools with recent worrying stories

RationalBrain Wed 17-Oct-12 08:43:58

"one awful school that should be closed, and 2 fairly average schools with recent worrying stories"

lme30005 can you tell us which ones you are talking about? I'm local, so am very interested!

lme30005 Wed 17-Oct-12 09:09:26

Apologies if any of your DCs are at the schools! Bishop David Brown is the bad one, undersubscribed and poor results. It needs help! Winston and Woking High - have heard mixed reports from people here and others who have DCs there but am sure they're ok for most

RationalBrain Wed 17-Oct-12 11:18:41

No - we're still at primary level, but am aware we need to consider secondary provision at some point.

I've heard good reports about the changes the head is making to Woking High, but there isn't a sixth form which is a shame.

pinkbluepink Mon 22-Oct-12 20:43:39

springrain has suggested St Peter's in Guildford which has quite a few students from the Woking area. Nice catholic secondary on a par with GA. Not all students are catholic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now