Talk

Advanced search

^How^ do you ask about where pupils go when they leave?

(10 Posts)
Takver Mon 15-Oct-12 22:23:36

One of the recommended questions for school open evenings always seems (quite reasonably) to be 'where do pupils go when they leave' and specifically how many go to eg Russell Group universities.

I'm now wondering how you go about asking this! Won't the school say that it is confidential information as it would be possible to identify individual pupils? (Not a massive school - maybe 750 pupils, so can't be that many in 6th form)

picturesinthefirelight Mon 15-Oct-12 22:25:52

My children's school publishes a list of universities that leavers have moved in to in its prospectus.

PotteringAlong Mon 15-Oct-12 22:26:07

Just ask! They won't tell you names but will have statistics.

Plenty of people ask, it's a normal question.

Takver Mon 15-Oct-12 22:33:49

OK, I'll ask and won't be embarrassed then!

busymummy3 Mon 15-Oct-12 23:05:19

Look at the Sixth Form Prospectus ( erm that is if the school you are looking at has a sixth form ) most schools put a list in there also my DC's school has a page on their website.

Kez100 Tue 16-Oct-12 06:14:00

I am sure asking this is fine. Our School (albeit they leave at 16) has a record and also encourages contact thereafter, so they know how students get on.

What wouldn't be fine, is to personalise it and ask where Master Keswick went, or Miss Takver.I am sure that would be confidential.

I know when we declare our exam results all those congratulated and mentioned by name have given prior consent to their name being used.

wordfactory Tue 16-Oct-12 09:13:44

Most schools publish. Just ask OP.

LittleFrieda Tue 16-Oct-12 09:46:25

Is this a state school or an indy?

All the independent schools I know publish destination of leavers -- my sons' old school publish names, university and course -- but state schools don't seem to provide the same thing. Are they perhaps barred from making the information public?

GrungeBlobPrimpants Tue 16-Oct-12 09:49:56

Certainly not barrred hmm

All state schools round here publish leavers' destinations (uni + course), though of course they don't list the individuals. On websites though you may have to look in the 6th form section.

Takver Tue 16-Oct-12 11:03:40

State schools. We went to the open evenings last yr (when dd was in yr 5) and tbh I seemed to be in the minority in that I was buttonholing teachers and asking questions, I think most people are pretty decided on where their dc will go already. They're both very friendly though so if it is generally acceptable to ask then I will smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now