Talk

Advanced search

Treasure Island (and the National Curriculum) - I'm confused!

(9 Posts)
mrsmallaghan Mon 15-Oct-12 11:49:37

I'm trying to find out if Treasure Island is in the National Curriculum, and for what age/s - can you help? Is your child reading it / doing projects on it? Thanks!

brentwoodgal Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:58

My DD is currently studying Treasure Island in Year 7 English. She had to write a Pirate Song for homework - so this is how I know!

mrsmallaghan Mon 15-Oct-12 12:47:52

Brill! Thanks brentwoodgal!

Tinks313 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:39:22

My DS studied it in year 3. I went as a helper with the school to watch the play at a local theatre so remember it clearly, also DS had homework.

OhDearConfused Tue 16-Oct-12 09:39:36

Year 3. As in 7 year old? Wow, a very advanced school (or DS) indeed ..... it really is for children at Level 6 upwards I'd say.

Themumsnot Tue 16-Oct-12 09:42:04

I doubt they studied the original text at Y3. I've taught it to top set Y8 and they were challenged by the language. There are all sorts of versions about of various degrees of abridgement.

brentwoodgal Tue 16-Oct-12 21:47:56

DD showed me her English exercise book tonight, and she's definitely studying Treasure Island! She's in the top set at a regular comp. Latest homework is to review in 100 words a novel by either Philip Pullman, Anthony Horowitz or Malorie Blackman. She's chosen Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman which I think I might read once she's finished!

BrianButterfield Tue 16-Oct-12 21:49:15

There's no prescribed list of books for secondary English so it's not "on the National Curriculum" and schools would be free to teach it, or not, to whatever class they saw fit.

WofflingOn Tue 16-Oct-12 22:00:16

Classic literature for Y6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now