Talk

Advanced search

George Abbot/Howard of Effingham info

(9 Posts)
lme30005 Sat 13-Oct-12 08:24:06

Hi
I'm looking at local schools and wondered if anyone had any knowledge of George Abbot or Howard of Effingham. I read the Good Schools Guide reports and George Abbot seemed to be better even though I've previously heard better things about Howard. I'm a bit worried about the size of George Abbot - will my DS get completely lost in the crowd?
I know both would be quite hard to get into, catchment wise
Thanks

homebythesea Sat 13-Oct-12 08:45:35

Depends very much where you live- catchments for each nowhere near each other. Howard entrance requirements pretty much mean you need to be at one of the local feeder primaries or have a sibling already there- v few other places depending on the birth year. Both good academics, handful of Oxbridge each year etc.

mummytime Sat 13-Oct-12 12:25:40

George abbot is amazing at making sure no kids fall down the cracks, much better than a lot of smaller schools. It's large size does mean there are more opportunities, there are numerous clubs and societies eg. 4 or more different style choirs. There is also more chance of finding kids with the same interests in such a big group.
However the Howard is a very good school too.
The best way to choose is where you live, and which school you can get your child into.

cece Sat 13-Oct-12 14:06:49

Many of my friends have children at George Abbott. They are all very happy with it as a general rule.

thatisnotanoption Sun 14-Oct-12 23:36:41

DS1 at the Howard. So far we have been impressed with the school, the care shown by the teachers and the progress made by DS1 despite a "can't be bothered" attitude. DS1's friends all seem very happy too.

Last Head of School only stayed for 2 years and temporary arrangement in place for this academic year. Could be changes with appointment of new Head for September 2013.

lme30005 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:38:38

Mummytime - George Abbot sounds like it might be ok then, despite its size. I hadn't thought of the size of the school being a good thing, with more activities etc. Will have to arrange a tour. I take they won't look at me strangely if I say my DS is only in year 4?

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 22:05:22

Far too early- you have no idea what catchments will be in 2 years time! Honestly just leave it till next year when everyone will be doing applications

cece Tue 16-Oct-12 22:09:05

You've missed the day tours - they were 2 or 3 weeks ago and I assume you've also missed the open evening for this year too.

Go to the open evenings in Year 5 and the day tours in Year 6. That's what most people do.

lme30005 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:45:55

Ok, thanks. Hopefully it would leave us long enough to move as we'd have to be moved and applying in 2 years time. Don't want to get ahead of myself though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now