Talk

Advanced search

Appealing and order on your preference list?

(16 Posts)
Frikadellen Tue 09-Oct-12 08:10:55

We believe we have found the right school for our son. It is however a super selective grammar school.

If he hasn't quite scored enough for a place by a point or two and we go to appeal will it have any bearing on the case " against us" if we have placed the other 2 grammar schools in the area on our preference? (1 we liked the other is a higher selection than the one we really like and we are wondering if that then becomes a "wasted" choice)

(ohh roll on next week when results are out)

tiggytape Tue 09-Oct-12 08:49:34

No it won't count against you. It will not undermine your assertion that school A is better for your DS just because you have listed schools B,C,D and E as well.

Panels know that parents have to be careful when filling in the application and preference forms and need to list their ideal schools as well as secure back-up ones to ensure they aren't left with no school place offered at all. The panel knows that people have to list safe options even if they are ones that parents don't consider ideal and no panel would expect you to list just one school or no other grammars at all.

You don't need to be tactical filling out your list. Put the schools down in the genuine order you prefer them. This will not count against you in any way.
The only time you need to worry about a wasted choice is if you fill up your form with only grammar schools or only long-shot schools (in terms of distance or admission criteria). This would be risky. You do need to reserve one space on your form for a dead-cert school be that your local comprehensive or another school you know you can get into as you meet their top criteria (eg faith school).
If you only list grammars with no dead-cert back-up at all, you run the risk of not being allocated any that you wanted and having the council choose one for you imstead.

Frikadellen Tue 09-Oct-12 09:38:24

Thank you Tiggy tape (This was so much easier for the girls who didn't pass or take the 11+ )

Our dead cert is pretty easy thankfully as He liked the non grammar (non Kent - we live RIGHT on the border) school his older 2 sisters are in and that school has sibling priority. We are discussing how to place them all and the dead cert will likely go down as 4th choice.
We are going to go and look at Hayesbrook tomorrow - Last school to look at..

The school we feel is so suitable for him is Skinners in Tunbridge Wells. We preferred it to Judd for him as he is so incredibly into Math and science and their STEM had him wide eyed and unwilling to leave the area for 30 mins. (I got to admit likely not helped by the 2 boys who showed us around who eagerly helped him with all the tasks both clearly enjoying themselves) smile Add to that they have a all year cricket team and honestly I think he was ready to move in laughs.

We liked TWGSB and whilst we really liked Judd we are of the opinion that Skinners would be far better suited for our son. This has got the question up do we want to add Judd at all and if so where on the list? Or should we seek to see what other non Grammar schools there is he may like? Hence the above question.

tiggytape Tue 09-Oct-12 09:57:42

It sounds like Judd is the best one for your DS and the one you all love so that should go first on your list.
If he doesn't quite get the marks to secure a place at Judd but passes tests for the other grammars, it will not reduce your chances of him getting a place at these other grammars by having listed them 2nd and 3rd and it won't reduce your chances of winning an appeal at Judd having listed other grammars on the form.

Assuming you prefer a grammar school option overall, your DD's current school would be your last choice on the form and again, DS's place there is safe if he does not pass the grammar school tests (even though you placed it as your last choice - they do not hold that against you either).

It truly is equal preference. You get the highest ranked school that you qualify for. So if the worst happened and DS did not pass any 11+ tests, he would get a place at your DD's current school over and above somebody with no sibling there even if they had had listed it as their first choice or their only choice.

Order of preference does not override admission criteria. Meeting the admission criteria for a school is the only thing that matters and the preference list only comes into play if you meet the criteria for more than one school. The council can only offer each person 1 school place. If your DS passes Judd and all the grammar school exams, he won't get 3 or 4 offers to choose from, he will get one offer which will be the highest ranked school from your list.
If he didn't pass any grammar school tests then your DD's current school automatically becomes the highest ranked school that DS qualifies for so that would be the one offered.

Frikadellen Tue 09-Oct-12 10:21:28

Skinners is the preference and Judd usually takes the highest 2% then Skinners the next few 5 and TWGSB goes for the last lot (until full off course) all 3 schools are over subscribed.

thankfully we get the results prior to having to fill in the forms so we don't have to worry about not having passed the test. & can safely chose knowing what ones to pick

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 10:24:33

My ds is at skinners, we felt the same way as you. He is having the time of his life there and fun . We made the right choice.
I can't fault the school. Good luck.

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 10:25:20

P.S I think the gap really narrowed last year and possibly will again this year especially with the new sports facilities.

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 10:27:15

Sorry, I should have kept it all to one post. We didn't put Judd down at all on our form as really did not want him to go there, top score or not.

tiggytape Tue 09-Oct-12 10:37:11

Frikadellen - it sounds like you will be fine then.
You are in the fairly fortunate position of knowing the outcomes before the forms are filled in and of also having a guaranteed back-up school that you are happy with.
The rest is just fine tuning to make sure your list reflects your genuine preferences and then it is fingers crossed until March smile

Frikadellen Tue 09-Oct-12 13:25:48

ty again tiggytape

Toughasoldboots of all the schools we have looked around. ((7 in total now)) Skinners was the one where I thought YES I can see DS here. He was just enthralled with the entire school and the 2 boys who showed us around were so adorable I wanted to take them both home..

On being asked what was the best about the school they were both almost in competition to tell us what was great on being asked " whats not so good" there was a stunned silence then one went " oh the lessons" and the other sort of looked to him and grinned and went "ohh yes the lessons" and you could so clearly see neither of them meant it and really enjoyed themselves at school.

I liked Judd but simply prefer Skinners I feel it is far more the sort of ethos my son will get behind. being right on the border to Surrey and E Sussex we are more in dificulty with the places we can go for so I am hoping for a high score on the 11+ (roll on Wednesday when we know - next week) But ty for taking the time to tell me as it just confirms to me what I felt about the school.

(also the only HT speech that didn't bore me to tears why do most of them try to pretend to be your friend? - I want a HT not a friend)

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 14:35:38

The HT takes lessons sometimes and ds says he is 'a good laugh' . Which I think is a good thing.

clam Tue 09-Oct-12 21:31:35

Slightly off-topic, I know, but doesn't distance have anything to do with it nowadays? I only ask because I grew up in TW (db went to Skinners, I was at TWGGS) yet my mother told me recently that we quite likely wouldn't get in nowadays from Broadwater Down. But I often hear about people as far out as, say, Sevenoaks, applying.
How does it work then? Is a high score relevant?

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 21:47:02

Skinners and Judd are score based so distance doesn't matter, quite a few boys come from London /Hastings. TWBGS is distance only.
Twggs catchment is down to about 1.6 miles, there are 20 governor places but they were all top scorers last year bar 2.
We are aiming for governors place for dd2 as just out of catchment- not sure how successful that will be though.

clam Tue 09-Oct-12 22:45:59

Hmm, I see.
TWBGS is the "old" Technical High, I take it?

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 22:51:02

Yes, still referred to as 'tech' by most people. It used to take boys from Sevenoaks but they are not getting in now.
Boys from Hildenborough are still getting in, it still has quite a big catchment area.

Frikadellen Wed 10-Oct-12 17:02:21

TWBGS has slightly changed their admission policy and now have a 3 mile inner circle that fills first. Then they go for boys in named parishes and finally boys outside. As they are oversubscribed they are unlikely to get to the outside. The parish circles are not set so TWBGS is in the middle so for us (who are right on the eastern border to Surrey/ESussex - though still in Kent) it has actually become slightly easier to get into TWBGS where as those due south not within the 3 miles will find it harder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now