Talk

Advanced search

Sydenham Girls (not Sydenham High!) Your thoughts? (urgent!)

(11 Posts)
Shagmundfreud Mon 08-Oct-12 15:01:37

Hi all,
Just had a call asking us to come for an interview this week for dd, who has been out of school since April after a very, very shite year 8. Ended up removing her as felt school (one of the Harris Academies) was doing so little to help, and her behaviour and academic performance was on a steep downward trajectory.

Any how, put her on a number of waiting lists and .... waited. Meanwhile DD is at a private tutorial centre, where she is reasonably happy having one to one in a range of subjects, but we can't afford to continue it for any length of time.

So we now have an interview for a chance of a place at Sydenham girls. All I know is what I see on the website/ofsted reports, which looks pleasing. But I would SO appreciate some info from someone who knows the school a bit.

I know I should have done more research, but TBH we're the beggars in this situation, and it seems to me that there ain't much 'choosing' do to be done, given that every other school we have put her on the waiting list for is hideously oversubscribed.

titchy Mon 08-Oct-12 16:14:09

SG is state yes? So why on earth are you being interviewed? If there's a place and you're at the top of the list the place is yours surely?

I know of someone who is very happy there, having not applied to one of the Harris academies as both mother ad daughter hated it so.

Shagmundfreud Mon 08-Oct-12 16:28:40

'Interviewed' in the sense that the HOY wants to meet us and dd. They do have a place. AFAIK.

TimeChild Mon 08-Oct-12 17:09:51

I know several girls who went there and they like it there. We went to see it a few years ago and we liked what we saw. Was particularly impressed with the head, though not sure if the same one is there now.

One thing that we worried about then was that the school was going to be completely refurbished. Again not sure if that has all been done yet.

I would say that it's definitely worth a look.

wordassociationfootball Tue 09-Oct-12 13:57:04

It is top of our list after recent open days for dd next year. We talked with head of history, languages, art, performing arts and a maths teacher, plus the people who run the library on our tour. All highly approachable, enthusiastic impressive people as is he HT as far as I can tell. There are many, many things to like about this school as far as I'm concerned. The refurb is only just starting but looks to be not very invasive at all. They are building a new block before demolishing the old. I think you should feel confident but I hope an actual rather than prospective parent will come along and reassure you further.

motherinferior Tue 09-Oct-12 14:52:00

New head is terrific, if you like outspoken feminists which I do. Buildings are tatty, but I don't care. Results are improving dramatically. DD1 is having a whale of a time so far. HTH.

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Oct-12 18:12:47

is she going into Y9? I know a few girls there in Y9, all very happy.

gingeroots Tue 09-Oct-12 18:58:01

Construction firms now seem very good at carrying out rebuilds/refurb without disrupting school population .

Shagmundfreud Tue 09-Oct-12 23:10:19

Thank you everyone! smile So nice to hear positive comments.

Going in on Friday to talk to staff. Not sure when dd will start.

bigTillyMint - yes, she is going into year 9!

wordassociationfootball Fri 12-Oct-12 17:18:51

Shagmund, what did you think?

wordassociationfootball Fri 12-Oct-12 17:19:13

And DD of course smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now