Talk

Advanced search

Anybody go to the Marlborough open day? If so, what did you think?

(18 Posts)
yotty Thu 04-Oct-12 20:26:50

We went. Feeling confused. Curious to know what anybody else thought

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Thu 04-Oct-12 21:21:20

What was confusing?

yotty Thu 04-Oct-12 21:36:02

My preconceived ideas of it being too posh for us and my concerns about the pastoral care were alleviated. But DH has concerns about the state of the science department and I don't think we got to see the best bits of the school. Also get the feeling school is at a bit of a crossroads with new headmaster. Concerned parents want to take school one way and governors want to go another.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Thu 04-Oct-12 22:57:41

If you have concerns why don't you look elsewhere?

milkshake3 Thu 04-Oct-12 23:19:48

Where do you think governors want to go vs parents? Agree when we went round science dept looked like it needed a lick of paint but the enthusiasm and passion from the teachers got me past the dreadful (listed) building.....! DS more interested in the observatory and astronomy, oh and the snake! I was more interested that everyone does the 3 sciences. When we got lost after lunch trying to find one of the theatres, we were scooped up by a 6th form girl who was delightful and survived my quizzing. If my DCs turned out like that with her ambition and manners I'd be quite chuffed!

Also agree with Skippy though. If you are really concerned keep looking!

propatria Fri 05-Oct-12 09:31:33

Not a school for us but DH knows JL from schooldays and he makes big changes at every school he is Head of,he has a clear vision of what he wants from the school and lets just say that prob means interesting times for the school,who knows I might even change my mind about the place.

milkshake3 Fri 05-Oct-12 11:38:01

Propatria - is your DH a fan of JL? Is what he does generally good and well thought out? Is he good at the execution? Your last sentence implies that he will be good for the place. I hear discipline has improved greatly over the first 4 weeks of this term already...!!

Annelongditton Fri 05-Oct-12 12:19:05

Is the 3 sciences compulsory? does anyone know.

propatria Fri 05-Oct-12 12:23:18

Should have been clearer,he was at school with JL not taught by him,so fan prob isnt the word,theyve kept in contact in the years since,Def think hell be good for the place,he doesnt take nonsense,can seem a bit hard to read but we know from people that have needed it his pastoral care is excellent, execution-well he sticks around gets the job and makes sure has the Governors on side,doubt if hell take on another job after this so he will want to get it right and by employing him the Govs have shown they want change,he doesnt let things just go on as they always have...We have never been fans of M but it will be interesting to see how he gets on,I think hell be great for the place,but I can see he wont be everyones cup of tea.

milkshake3 Fri 05-Oct-12 12:33:55

Thanks Propatria. Def got the impression change is going to happen, which will probably be good. But it will probably ruffle some feathers, as change always does!

ALD - I got the impression they all do 3 sciences for GCSE and can also do astronomy as an option. Happy to be corrected if I misunderstood my guide!

Annelongditton Fri 05-Oct-12 12:54:30

Thanks ms3. A friend told me to go and look for DD, but 3 sciences is not going to happen. Its like we are trying to create a nation of doctors.

yotty Fri 05-Oct-12 12:56:32

Re the sciences. I was a bit shocked when I was looking at the results that they only appeared to do the dual award. However, have now found out that from this year all those who they think can achieve an A* or possibly an A( can remember) will do three separate sciences, this may mean the top 2,3 or 4 sets according to each individual year groups abilities, the rest will do the dual award.
My concern is that if they employed a head from an IB school the governors want to push forward with the IB. Yet the the take up as not been great, so maybe the parents want their children to stick with A levels/pre u.
Milkshake, I agree with you, the sixth formers we met were delightful. Although, ironically both the boy and girl I met had only joined the school in the sixth form.

milkshake3 Fri 05-Oct-12 14:27:51

I don't think the head is from an IB school but the international perspective seems to be something that's important to the school and the fact that the IB is free from govt interference, unlike A levels, is probably attractive...! My hope is they carry on offering the choice like most other schools.

propatria Fri 05-Oct-12 15:03:12

Ridley offers IB along with the local Canadian exams,but the circumstances of Canada/Ridley and M/UK are rather different.

Trippingthelightfantastic Fri 05-Oct-12 16:09:56

I'm new to MN having just stumbled across it.
The head at Matlborough is com

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Sat 06-Oct-12 00:28:20

com?

dapplegrey Sat 06-Oct-12 08:01:26

My dd is at Marlborough and she loves it.

yotty Sat 06-Oct-12 13:12:22

Skippy. Have looked elsewhere. Have come to the conclusion there is no such thing as a perfect school. Most coed boarding schools are fundamentally singing from the same song sheet superficially. However, I think it is not until you are actually at the school that you really get to see the differences. Just trying to do enough research to help me make a choice. The bottom line is that I feel incredibly lucky to potentially be able to make a choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now