Talk

Advanced search

When do you keep them off??

(11 Posts)
ByTheWay1 Fri 28-Sep-12 11:51:17

Hi - am in a bit of a guilt quandary......

My dd just started Y7 and loves it..... only thing she has a bit of trouble with is the homework system- it is on line and not always put on there quickly by the teachers concerned, so she panics and works herself up....

Yesterday she did her Maths online - after taking half an hour to find it and work out how it needs to be done, and got herself in a bit of a state and was sick.... (nervousness always makes her sick)

Her attitude was - well I can't go to school tomorrow, I've been sick - mine was - it is not an illness/bug, so yes you can...

She was fine this morning, still mentioned "being sick" and wanting to stay home, so I "jollied her along" and she went in.

Anyone have any words of wisdom - when do you keep them home / make them go in?

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Fri 28-Sep-12 11:57:41

You were right to make her go in.
She isn't ill.

Mine have only had 1 day off a year each in 5 years...they luckily are healthy robust children, who never have d and v and seem resilient to bugs.

Maybe have a chat with teacher if work continues to be late online.

ProudNeathGirl Fri 28-Sep-12 12:01:13

Mine have to go to school unless their leg has fallen off during the night, or something equally as serious. Once they're there they forget about being ill.

Shazjack1 Fri 28-Sep-12 12:06:08

Had a similar problem with ds 2 weeks ago. Got into a total state about school and vomited so kept him off. Got a strict telling off from the school about how 'this isn't primary anymore you know' and it's imperative they attend unless they are terribly unwell. That's me toldblush

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Fri 28-Sep-12 12:56:09

proud there's always wheelchairs.
So they could still go in. grin

DeWe Fri 28-Sep-12 13:00:28

Mine know that if they make any reference to "wanting to be at home" they've immediately lost hope of staying off.

As a scientist I require direct evidence grin

ProudNeathGirl Fri 28-Sep-12 14:13:43

Good point MrsRobert - I shall remember that next time a leg falls off grin

creamteas Fri 28-Sep-12 15:07:23

If they need medical attention, with D & V, or a fever not controlled by paracetamol.

Yet having said this, my local NHS Walk-in opens in time to get them seen before school and still make registration grin

Oh and my DS did break his leg and went straight back to school once plastered!

ByTheWay1 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:07:32

Thank God for mumsnet!!!

Gave me a laugh and made me feel less of a bitch mother from hell...

I shall use the "has your leg fallen off" test in future!!!! And as for the wheelchairs comment - that made me spray coffee all over the screen!!

lol

PropositionJoe Fri 28-Sep-12 15:10:47

They stay off if they vomit (mine very very rarely vomit and if they do, they are ill) or if they have a moderate temperature. Usually they would rather go in than deal with the hassle of catching up, so if they want to stay off they are probably quite ill.

amck5700 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:35:45

eldest in S1 hasn't been off school since P2 - total of 4 days absence ever.
youngest in P7 has had 1 day off (he was up sick all night and if he hadn't still been being sick at 8am he would have been in) since P2 - 4 days absence ever.

Luckily they are remarkably healthy but our motto is "you go in and see how you get on and if you are really unwell then get the school to phone and I'll arrange to get you home" They always seem to feel okay once they are in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now