Talk

Advanced search

Haberdashers Askes Hatcham (new cross) - personal experiences please

(4 Posts)
TooBusyByHalf Tue 25-Sep-12 23:59:09

Everyone says that views of Askes are 'mixed' but I haven't really heard any either way. Love to hear your / your DCs views and experiences. thanks

mushroom3 Wed 26-Sep-12 13:01:58

I have a child there and we are very happy with it. We like the mixed intake with single sex lessons and the great choice of languages, after school clubs etc. Each year you have a year specific information evening, a formal parents evening and informal coffee morning with staff, also reports ? 4 times at year, with the end of year one being very detailed. There are also social events. They are in form groups of 25, their form tutor, deputy form tutor and head of year move up with them through the school. This means that there are staff who know parents and child and you can contact if there are any enquiries or issues.

My child was one of two from his primary and is quiet but settled in very well. He has a great group of friends now and most live locally as the school selects on distance (only a couple who got in on Music live further away). He loves going to school. There is setting in most subjects, but frequent movement between the sets. Children are frequently in a different set for different subjects.

The building aren't as new or as attractive as some of the other schools but this school definitively gives a good, solid all round education. I also like that they have the nearby sports field, for sports, cadets etc. The school is quite traditional in its structure with 4 houses, house points, credits for achievements and sanctions that may convert to detention if the act is repeated!

If I were to turn the clock back and apply to secondary again for DC1, this certainly would be the number 1 choice. I know people who have children there in other years and they appear to be equally happy with their child's school.

TooBusyByHalf Wed 26-Sep-12 13:48:21

Serves me right for trying to start a thread at midnight! Any dear mumsnetters got any views on Askes today?

TooBusyByHalf Wed 26-Sep-12 13:52:56

Thanks mushroom. Good to hear. Dc1 is at a primary out of catchment so leaving her friends behind is a concern but we live v close so it seems crazy not to go there. Seems bizarre to be doing 11+ only for plan B though!! Anyone disagree with mushroom? Bullying? Pastoral care?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now