Talk

Advanced search

11+ or 13+ That is the question.

(7 Posts)
ontheschoolrun Tue 25-Sep-12 17:03:34

Anyone any advice on girls doing 11+ or 13+?

scaevola Tue 25-Sep-12 17:54:21

Do the schools you are interested in have entry points at both those ages? Are both competitive exams, or is 13+ CE?

And as well as the nuts and bolts of exams/admissions, how does the current school compare with the potential destination schools for years7&8 an which is more likely to suit DD? Some love the experience of being top of the prep but if a lot of children leave at 11+ and the year is very small, will there be enough going on?

diabolo Tue 25-Sep-12 17:58:26

Most at DS's prep do 13+ (it tends to be mostly those who are going off to board at senior school who leave at 11), however we live in an area that still operates the 3-tier system, so as most local senior day schools begin at 13 for us, it's a no-brainer.

Knowsabitabouteducation Tue 25-Sep-12 18:00:16

It depends on what the prep school has on offer for Y7 and Y8 girls, and how they are integrated into their chosen senior schools.

I've got a feeling the fashion is trending back to 11+ for girls. It's much nicer on the boys too who get to be boys only for two years.

Needmoresleep Tue 25-Sep-12 18:12:18

Depends where you are and what is the main entry age for girls at your preferred secondaries.

In London most girls transfer at 11+. Very few wait till 13+ and so socially this may be more difficult. There are also fewer places. Many of the girls who stay on till 13+ are planning to board.

fait Tue 25-Sep-12 19:12:04

If you are looking at 11+, you will find it easier to get a GS place at this stage. At 12+, even if you get the top marks, unless a child has left the school you want, you won't get in.

I would do whatever the schools do in your area. If that is 11+ then I would go for that - and have 12+ as a back up. If you are going independent, then I would transfer to the senior school at the lowest age you can so that you don't miss out on any tuition that will mean your DC could have trouble catching up.

londoner01 Tue 25-Sep-12 22:52:18

I found DD was very ready to leave at 11, she needed a change, new challenges and people to keep her motivated. Two more years in her previous school would have been a drag. Plus, most girls left at 11 so she would've been one of 3 girls staying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now