Talk

Advanced search

Other end of the spectrum - is very little homework a concern?

(9 Posts)
Sarem Mon 24-Sep-12 19:39:30

or a cause for joy? grin does it make a difference that it's a superselective grammar school?

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 20:17:25

I am very jelous !grin

cluttered Mon 24-Sep-12 22:01:24

Yes we had this last year with DS1 in Year 7 at a London superselective. Now he is Year 8 he is getting a bit more homework but still has plenty of the evening left for relaxing and he doesn't get in the door until about 5 so it's definitely not excessive. He does a little on Saturday and none on Sunday so he's not saving it up for the weekend. I just trusted the school knew what they were doing as they get the results and they do seem to be going at a fast pace in the lessons.

gazzalw Tue 25-Sep-12 07:21:09

Ha, Sarem, wondering if your DC (a DS perchance) is at the same one as our DS as there has been scant homework thus far.....

But if it is the same one, I seem to recall reading on another forum that Ofsted had criticised the amount of homework being given (a couple of years ago) and so it was cut back accordingly.

I am pretty sure that in a super-selective grammar you can be assured that they know what they are doing homework-wise. It's quite probable that they are progressing much faster than they might do in a comprehensive - as I pointed out to DW, even at secondary school, homework doesn't really signify until GCSE work starts...

nooka Tue 25-Sep-12 07:30:08

My children aren't at school in the UK any more (we moved to Canada a few years ago) and neither of them have any homework to speak of. ds is 13 and dd is 12. Their school performs well and Canada does very well internationally so I'd say be grateful and don't worry. No doubt it will come in time!

Ah you may be at the same selective as my DS.
I was slightly concerned, not a lot of homework yr 7.

But as it has gone on to year 8&9, it has got a lot more intensive.

doublemocha Tue 25-Sep-12 08:05:47

I have a DS in Year 8 and a DD in Year 7, neither have challenging levels of homework . Maybe an hour or 90 minutes a week but that's the absolute maximum DS was ever been given last year. In fact, much much less than I was expecting for DS initially. It's increased slightly in Year 8 so far.

However, the school is heavily oversubscribed, achieves excellent results well in excess of the national average (it's a state school) and have just had an fab Ofsted report this summer.

I therefore trust them! And, in fact am quite pleased with this softly softly approach!

Sarem Tue 25-Sep-12 08:13:16

I am particularly pleased that so far there have neither been poster nor project type home works! Even though I can see the merit of independent research etc I still don't like them.

doublemocha Tue 25-Sep-12 08:34:18

Sarem - DS only got one project type homework last year, which, had he planned correctly, would have kept him within the homework time frame I mentioned above. He really didn't know how to manage his time and had a very long weekend getting it all done! A lesson learned, I had 'prompted' him a couple of times about time management of project work but no more, perhaps I should have done more, who knows!

Also - some homework is subjective i.e Art. I noticed DD took over an hour and a half on her homework this weekend for Art. She didn't need to do this, I think Half an hour would have been fine, but she loves the subject and is good at it. DS would have rattled a sketch off in 15 minutes, he hates the subject and is frankly crap at it too! So, I guess you might need to factor that in to 'how much' homework is set? Just a thought?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now