Talk

Advanced search

independent schools for maths/science geeks, surrey?

(13 Posts)
SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Sun 23-Sep-12 01:49:44

Any suggestions?

Went to Hampton open morning today, DS was enthused with the maths + science department obviously lots of very able boys and work to suit.

Asked about admissions procedures: there's an expressive English exam that I think he would not do very well on in addition to the standard maths, etc.. Got the impression that they take their 91% A*/As at GCSE very seriously and are oversubscribed enough to reject those with imbalances in their skills.

SN support chargeable, at £26 a session which seems expensive but appears just part of a whole raft of expenses - high fees for a day school, bus fees, lots of expensive foreign jaunts, etc., so not so significant overall.

Having visited a less academic school, only 33% at A*/A, where getting in would not be a problem, didn't really get the impression that the students were hugely bright and wouldn't necessarily be stimulated enough.

Not sure where to go in between. Needs to be a day school, or predominantly so at least.

lme30005 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:12:38

Would also be interested to hear some suggestions as DS loves maths and science and I'm running out of options for a day school in Surrey that doesn't cost a fortune
Which school did you see that was less academic? I think Hampton is too far for DS to travel so might have to cross that off my list

BeadyBagsaTella Sun 23-Sep-12 09:48:34

Have you consided RGS Guildford? Strong on Maths/Science and boys travel into Guildford on the train from Woking, Walton as well as from south of Guildford. I think they have an open morning coming up, so might be worth a look?

happygardening Sun 23-Sep-12 10:00:48

Kingston Grammar?

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 23-Sep-12 10:21:57

All independent schools should be strong in maths and science.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Sun 23-Sep-12 11:40:13

I think RGS might be somewhat in the same vein admissions wise as Hampton - not sure he would get in.

Was not impressed by Maths/Science/academics at the 33% school, which was King Edwards.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Sun 23-Sep-12 11:40:22

in Witley (Godalming)

lme30005 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:57:53

It's a real struggle to find schools in this area which aren't impossible to get into, but still have good standards and the right environment for my slightly geeky DS. RGS sounds ideal but I think he would struggle with the English paper as he hates creative writing

florenceuk Mon 24-Sep-12 10:26:51

The not-so-academic options mentioned favourably at my son's school (once we have gone through the top tier of St Pauls/Westminster/KCS and the almost but not quite top tier like Hamptons and CLSB) are Reeds, St Johns and Epsom. They are however quite expensive. We've looked at Reeds - which seemed like a nice school with a good reputation for pastoral care. Epsom has strong rep for medicine as well as sport.

The o/s jaunts I am assuming as purely optional!

bucksfizzed Mon 24-Sep-12 13:11:47

st george's weybridge? clfs ashtead?? Big schools but slightly less expensive I seem to recall.

Less expensive again, smaller, but prob less impressive paper results Box Hill, Duke of Kent Ewhurst.

sue52 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:20:37

Caterham School looked very good and reasonable day school fees (for the south east).

sue52 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:25:50

Just noticed you wanted a predominantly day school. When I looked around with DD, there seemed to be a lot of day pupils.

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Mon 24-Sep-12 17:34:04

hmm, have read good things about Caterham. A little far from us though quite close to my parents.

I think we've missed their open days, but they have an open afternoon too.

Perhaps we will have a look.

Day fees are quite cheap for a boarding school (not especially cheap for a day school though) which I guess encourages them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now