Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Cardiff

(16 Posts)
Arti364 Sat 22-Sep-12 11:41:22

Hi everyone, we're planning to move from Sheffield to Cardiff in July 2013. My son is year 7 now and I don't know what the procedure is for parents who move into town. Do I need to contact the school or the council for a place?
By the way I'm looking for a good secondary school!

admission Sat 22-Sep-12 21:32:43

If you go to this address and then pull up the school admission booklet, then there is a bit of detail on page 35 for in-year admissions.
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2869,3047,3060&parent_directory_id=2865&id=12036

Have to say that it is not that clear but essentially if you have an address in Cardiff then apply directly to Cardiff Council for a place on the school you want. If you want to try an get the place before you move and before you have an address then you need to apply via Sheffield Council admission office.

One thing that you do need to consider is that in any school your son will be expected to take part in welsh language classes and that there will be both bi-lingual and welsh language schools, so you need to think a bit about that.

You can look at the Estyn site which is the equivalent of Ofsted for inspection reports but inspection is only once every six years, unless you are in a category and the latest version of Estyn inspection started in September 2010. Anything before that I would treat with caution. There is nothing better however than actually visiting the schools.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 21:34:22

Have you got a house yet, looked T any areas?

PickledMoomin Sat 22-Sep-12 21:45:34

Best ones are Howell's (independent and girls only), Bishop of Llandaff (Church in Wales) and Cardiff High. What will your catchment be?

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 21:51:35

There is a thread in chat full of Cardiff folk with a review on chippys too which is another important consideration.

PickledMoomin Sat 22-Sep-12 21:58:30

I need to go and check that out! Must be the one in Whitchurch?!

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 22:00:28

Top gun!

That was mentioned!!

PickledMoomin Sat 22-Sep-12 22:08:17

<yum!>
Can you link the thread?

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 22:12:28

I'm on my phone so I don't know how!

It's on chat called chip shop!

PickledMoomin Sat 22-Sep-12 22:24:30

Thanks grin

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 22:34:55

If you can't find it I'll link on my computer!

mosschops30 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:43:46

Yes chippy in Whitchurch is top gun (yum) best chippy in Cardiff.

Best high schools are Cardiff high and corpus christi. Whitchurch high is quite good too so I hear.
All these schools cover the north of Cardiff. Any idea where you will be?

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 22:48:09

Seeing as we are on the subject what's peoples thoughts on llanishen?

mosschops30 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:53:48

I hear mixed things about llanishen high. My friends daughters went there and did very well.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sat 22-Sep-12 22:57:30

I googled it but just heard about happy slapping!

Ds is 18 mo but would like to pick an area and stay there so he has friends for long time.

Heard a few kids got bullied there.

mosschops30 Sat 22-Sep-12 23:03:46

Yes I think it's very mixed. But kids can get bullied anywhere really.
My dd went to corpus and now Cardiff high. I have two still going through primary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now