Talk

Advanced search

Help me make a list of all the schools I should visit with Y4 dd in mind

(5 Posts)
Elibean Fri 21-Sep-12 14:28:18

Please...

Its all so overwhelming! I know I'm doing it all a bit early, but after getting lots of advice, I thought I'd have a preliminary go at Open Days this year - so I have time to get my own thoughts in order before involving dd next year.

We're in SW London (Richmond Borough: SW13) and dd is at a state primary. She is pretty bright, top sets, but not hugely motivated academics-wise - though she seems to be very creative, confident, and a good organiser. Not a natural conformist, I can't imagine her in a very traditional environment.

I'd like to look at indies and state schools, ideally - bearing in mind she is at a state primary, and although I would support her with a tutor for NVR etc should she set her heart on an indie, I can't see her wanting - or me forcing - a huge amount of pressure.

I will go and see our nearest local secondary - RPA - but definitely need more options to go and visit!

scampadoodle Mon 24-Sep-12 18:04:34

I honestly wouldn't go until Year 5. You'll only start chewing everything over in your head ad infinitum & going now just means you'll have an extra year of insanity.

Plus, open days/evenings are insanely busy and as a yr6 parent I could do without yr4 parents being there! grin

Elibean Mon 24-Sep-12 19:40:17

I do know what you mean - have had similar thoughts myself! But was advised here on MN, and by a few people in RL, that scouting around now would be good in order to prepare dd if necessary for 11+.....though am now thinking even that wouldn't be necessary for another term or two, surely?!? confused

If I do go, I promise to flatten myself against the wall and let Y6 parents take the main space smile

TalkinPeace2 Mon 24-Sep-12 20:04:03

)))))))Grammar Schools ((((((((((
How to make the later stages of primary school an UTTER GRIND for lots of kids.

ChippyMinton Mon 24-Sep-12 20:09:08

From what I hear about LBRuT and changes to admissions, new schools etc, it may be worth hanging on until next year's round, when there will be a clearer picture of which state schools your DD might get in to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now