Talk

Advanced search

School coat to go over blazer ?

(19 Posts)
TunaPastaBake Wed 19-Sep-12 09:37:41

DS Yr7 - blazer compulsory at school but he walks, or cycles so will need a coat in winter , pref black .

So on the hunt for a black , inexpensive school coat that will cover blazer.

Starting a search myself but would be handy to hear hints from others.

bizzey Wed 19-Sep-12 10:27:57

Try propper uniform shops /outlets where they sell the lots of different schools stuff.

My ds has got a "school" overcoat with logo ...but maybe they do some with out ??

TunaPastaBake Wed 19-Sep-12 10:45:20

Thanks - have just had a look online at the local uniform shop and they do some coats without 'branding'.

sleeze Wed 19-Sep-12 10:48:18

My dc just had a 'kag in a bag' they could keep in their school bags. They would only wear a coat if it was absolutely pouring with rain so I didn't want to spend a lot on proper winter coats.

TunaPastaBake Wed 19-Sep-12 10:52:22

I really dont want to have to spend alot either - he has a 'pack a mac' in his bag .

adeucalione Wed 19-Sep-12 13:23:11

I have never seen a secondary school pupil wearing a coat around here - in gales, monsoons and snowstorms they stand their shivering and dripping, somehow thinking that this looks more cool than putting a coat on.

I would second the advice to buy a packaway waterproof jacket that can hide in a school bag until needed.

crazymum53 Wed 19-Sep-12 13:44:44

If he is cycling he may need a colour that stands out more in the dark rather than black. Would get him to choose though!

takeonboard Wed 19-Sep-12 14:24:05

My secondary school boy hasn't worn a coat to school since primary. He will wear a coat on a weekend but not to school....he will wear hat, scarf, gloves when its very cold but nothing over his blazer even when it rains!

TunaPastaBake Wed 19-Sep-12 14:35:24

Ok thanks all , may be I will wait and see.

Concious of him being seen on his bike .

Theas18 Wed 19-Sep-12 21:38:04

He won't wear it.
ds wears a non uniform hoody under his blazer when its cold and takes it of for school.
Hrs better that midst of his peers at dressing appropriately too!

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Sep-12 21:45:03

Yes, he will need a coat.

But once they are at high school boys would rather suffer hypothermia than actually wear a coat. Although, on days when it's below -5C at the bus stop, DS has been known to wear a Superdry coat. Inexpensive coats don't seem to be an option at high school. hmm

Strangely, hats/gloves and scarves which make you look like a gangster are perfectly acceptable. As are jumpers under blazers. I did also buy white t-shirts for under shirts but apparently they aren't acceptable.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Sep-12 21:47:52

Don't worry, he will soon discover spraying an entire can of Lynx on him protects him from the cold.

TunaPastaBake Thu 20-Sep-12 10:54:56

Good to know what's in and not in secondary school grin
Lynx ! - tell me about it!

lljkk Thu 20-Sep-12 16:24:38

He will Not wear a Coat. Forget about it, save your money. A thin waterproof will have to suffice.

DoingItForMyself Thu 20-Sep-12 17:22:45

Yup, mine has a proper waterproof jacket which has never seen the light of day! Don't waste your money.

teacherwith2kids Thu 20-Sep-12 19:35:41

Yr 7 boy, walks over a mile to school and does Scouts so needs a decent coat for that - got one from Mountain Warehouse (fairly cheapy camping / outdoor type place). Slightly insulated waterproof, packs down quite small to go in his school bag.

Slightly nerdy boy, doesn't 'do' peer pressure, very logical [I am cold = should wear coat = will wear coat], so I know he will wear it.

pointythings Fri 21-Sep-12 19:06:32

My DD is in Yr7 and really looking forward to getting a new winter coat. I'm going to get her a black swing coat in an adult size 8, should cover her blazer nicely and she likes the kudos of wearing 'adult' clothes.

Blu Fri 21-Sep-12 20:14:37

I saw a really good boys coat in NEXT in Westfield the other day: Long straight anorak style, matt waterproof black, fleece lining, and quite a cool look to it. But I cannot find it on their website.

AnnoyingOrange Fri 21-Sep-12 20:25:37

Base layers/ under armour seem to be acceptable too at ds's school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now